WANTED: Bumblebee ( orbic ) Oscars

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:WANTED: Bumblebee ( orbic ) Oscars

I was thinking variation on the wild (Astronotus ocellatus), rather than the tiger, which is is self a variant, I should have clarified.

Yes the Crassprinis is the only second species, but A. ocellatus is recognized to be genetically diverse and has the potential for containing other separate species, it is just difficult to find any real clarity on the topic. Anyone using the term orbicularis in the 1980s was not a scientist,as far as I have found. There is the name orbiculatus but that has been shown to be a synonym with ocellatus, which means that effectively the bumblebee is only a variant.

Anyway, they are a cool variant, to be sure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: WANTED: Bumblebee ( orbic ) Oscars

As the 'other' bumblebee owner on this site, I will say they are worth it when it comes to owning a unique Oscar.

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: WANTED: Bumblebee ( orbic ) Oscars

Is that your new banner Dave? At first I thought it was an ad for something! :lol:

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:WANTED: Bumblebee ( orbic ) Oscars

DMD123 wrote: As the 'other' bumblebee owner on this site, I will say they are worth it when it comes to owning a unique Oscar.

+1

yeah def a cool variant i know ben wasnt comparing them tigers (nothing wrong with tigers) forgot who did but imo orbics are not "Like" tigers.

Check out american cichlids II large cichlids cant remember the other book but both spoke of the orbics wether they were scientists or not they are allot more knowledgeable than us lol who cares anyway its a great O

Mentioned the books because orbics were spiken of way before rapps was in the game

Poseidon2.0 wrote: Is that your new banner Dave? At first I thought it was an ad for something! :lol:

Lol, an ad for bumblebee oscars!

• guppy-boy
  • guppy-boy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

guppy-boy replied the topic: WANTED: Bumblebee ( orbic ) Oscars

STOOOP :blink: all these beautiful pictures ....just make me want them more :P Rapps has been bring these in for years....surprised no one has bred them yet ( offspring in the market I mean ) ??

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:WANTED: Bumblebee ( orbic ) Oscars

daddadoo7 wrote: Check out american cichlids II large cichlids cant remember the other book but both spoke of the orbics wether they were scientists or not they are allot more knowledgeable than us lol who cares anyway its a great O

Mentioned the books because orbics were spiken of way before rapps was in the game

I will look at that book. All I meant about Rapps, wasn't that he invented it, but that it seems he promotes the idea of a separate species (and never answered my email question about it really), by using that name (A. obicularus) when it is really ambiguous. He may have his reasons for it or have some contacts that collected the fish which give him more insight. It is not like there is a lot of grant money for scientists to study oscars in the wild, definitely more of a dealers world. A better name seems to me would be (A. ocellatus, var. obicularus, or something like that). Anyway, I find the fish naming business (scientific or free enterprise) an interesting enterprise.

But I am, likely you, mostly of the "who cares anyway" school when it comes to my enjoyment of the fish itself. Definitely something about the Bees that are different than the average tiger.

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: WANTED: Bumblebee ( orbic ) Oscars

guppy-boy wrote: STOOOP :blink: all these beautiful pictures ....just make me want them more :P Rapps has been bring these in for years....surprised no one has bred them yet ( offspring in the market I mean ) ??

I know. I am surprised also. I guess Dave and I are going to have to create a hookup for our two Os, it will be an OFL love story. (I think his is female and mine male). :whistle:

guppy-boy wrote: Rapps has been bring these in for years....surprised no one has bred them yet ( offspring in the market I mean ) ??

The generation of bumblebee that Poseidon2.0 and I have, are tank bred f2 generation fish. Jeff told that to me when I asked some questions about them. As to other breeders... Not seen it happen yet

Poseidon2.0 wrote: I guess Dave and I are going to have to create a hookup for our two Os, it will be an OFL love story. (I think his is female and mine male). :whistle:

I wish you were closer. That would make make it easier to get them together.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds