i think i got dempsy babies comin

• MetalHead88
  • MetalHead88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 created the topic: i think i got dempsy babies comin

i got 2 jack dempsys in a tank, ones about 7'' the other is 4''i thought i had 2 males, but im starting to think otherwise the bigger one would normally chase the smaller all around the tank and the smaller would hide in a treasure chest only he would fit in. but recently they have been getting along very well. the other day i began to see them digging out a cave together. they've been doing it for the past few days now.

i know the bigger is a male for sure. his top fin is very long and pointed, and hes very colorful. the smaller is more blackish, with less blueish green spots. his top fin is pointed, but not as long. in my past experience with jd pairs, the females top fins were almost completely rounded off.

my last pair of dempsys did spawn, but the babies never lived. i did have other fish and a blue lobster in the tank which ate them. i tried separating the depseys and babies from the other fish by using a plexi glass board. every morning id find the lobster on the other side. i have the tall plastic grass u place at the bottom to protect the babies from other fish, but it dont work against lobsters.

the depmseys are the only fish in the tank, i think ill have better results this time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Margaret150 replied the topic: Re:i think i got dempsy babies comin

Hey! I just experienced this for the first time last week in my new cycling 150 gallon. I was gravel vac and noticed a strange debri in the tube and before sucking them out I realized they must have been eggs. Plus, during this time the
fish were attacking me and anything I put near this piece of wood that they were hanging around. Anyways, thier babies hatched and when they would stray they would pick them up in thier mouth and spit them back into where they all were. They only lasted a day ???? Also, about 1-2 weeks before the babies were born one of my other big Demspeys were litterally killed off by the other. But I will be prepared next time I went and bought a hang on the side fish net breeder. So once in the swimming stage I will put some in there and feed them brine and see what happens. Can't wait to hear your further news, be sure to keep us posted.

• MetalHead88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Re:i think i got dempsy babies comin

im pretty sure they finally paired up. neither of them have ever dug or even moved gravel. they dug both sides, inside, and behind the cave, most importantly, together. right now im just keeping an eye out for eggs. they usually like to lay them down on an inside wall, or ceiling of something or on the bottom of the tank were its dug down to the glass. how soon should i be expecting babies??

goodluck to you as well. keep us posted as well.

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:i think i got dempsy babies comin

You will not need to separate the babies. JD are cichlids and good parents and will look after them. The eggs will hatch after a few days

You need to feed the babies. You can feed brine shrimp but i understand this can be a hassle. When i had convicts breed i fed them liquifry no.2 (for egg layers). I am in the uk, if you are from a different country im sure they will have a similar food. It a creamy liquid that you put in the tank

I can't get no sleep

• MetalHead88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Re:i think i got dempsy babies comin

no eggs yet, that i see at least. they dug the whole side of the tank down to the glass. i had convict babies as well and fed them brine shrimp

when my last jds had babies they seemed like very good parents. the mother keep the babies in her mouth. but i had to many other things in the tank that ate them.

i dont have a spare tank for the babies when they start to grow but ill find them a home. im hoping to see some eggs in the next few days. i figured the male would eat the babies cuz hes pretty big. he may be more like 9'' actually

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds