jack dempsey

• Necromancer4
  • Necromancer4's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Parachromis...accept no substitute
  • Thank you received: 78

Necromancer4 created the topic: jack dempsey

yesterday i was looking through the freecycle site for my area and found an ad for a jd to give away.being curious i contacted the owner and setup a visit just to check him out. upon arriving i saw a beautiful male js in appalling conditions.they had him a 10 gal tank and the water was brown in colour. so now im the proud owner of a 6"jd(male i think)who i was told has homicidal tendencies.(he killed all the tankmates he was ever with).

i know nothing of jd's so is there anything i should know about keeping them? i plan on putting him in a 50 gal after he finishes his stay in the quarentine tank.

thx in advance cris

Warning..I will offend you at some point!!!

my goal is simple a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Re:jack dempsey

well first off, jds get really aggressive. my jd who was about 6'' at the time killed 3 of my 10'' oscars. i had a smaller 1 in another thank (im guessing 3'' at the time) and i was forced to put them together because both fish would kill everything. goodthing i did because now they are mating. they require the same care as an ocar would, but if you add any fish, witch i wouldnt recommend, make sure they are much bigger and keep an eye on him.

they are very much like oscars but more aggressive. they can be less social, but mine swim around begging for food like my os

i bet that fish is much happier with you :)

the males are much more colorfull and have a very pointed dorsal fin. sometimes it can be hard to tell if the fish was fed wrong, stressed, or has damage on its fins. this could leed to a lack of color and a rounded top fin, which may make a male look like a female.

they have always been one of my favorite fish, but they just get too damn aggessive. id never even attempt to mix species in with jds. they are hardy fish, beautiful in color, and easy to breed and take care of.

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Necromancer4 replied the topic: Re:jack dempsey

thanks for the info. i think he'll be much happier in his new home but for now he's still in the small tank (for another few days) until i get my 50 ready for him.

btw can anyone tell me if he's a he or a she

here's a pic of my new jd(still in quarintine)

i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee103/necromancer4/DSCI0086.jpg

my goal is simple a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all

its a male. females are much more blackish in color or sometimes even browish. and see how pointed his top fin is??? females are less pointed and sometimes even rounded. very nice jack!!

heres a pic of my pair of jds. u can see that the smaller female is much less colorful. you cant see the fins so much because of the quality if the pic. phone camera is all i got

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

well i broke down and went to the lfs here and purchased what i believe to be a female jd to put into the tank with my male.so far it has been about 5 days and he hasn't killed her yet so i'm hoping they might be happy together.

i tried to find one that matched the one in metalheads photo and i think i succeeded. i'll post a pic ion a few days to see if i did get a female.

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:jack dempsey

Jd's are named after a boxer and can live up to the reputation. However not all are. I have a jd that isnt aggressive at all and never has been. I have spoken to a few people who think the aggression has been (accidentally) bred out with certain breeders

If the previous owner says it killed other fish then you probably have an aggressive one tho.

Nice looking fish

I can't get no sleep

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

well after about 5 months in there own tank i finally got the nerve up to try and introduce my 2 jacks into my oscar tank. the last time i tried this the male jack was constantly attacking my red and albino oscar(who were smaller than him at the time) and left the bigger tigers alone. now all the oscars are significantly larger than the jacks and things so far seem to be going fine.(a little chasing but i think they have to figure out living area).
now the press is on for the new tank because i think im overstocked in my main tank now. do you think 300 imp gallon tank will be big enough for my 4 oscars 2 jds 2 convicts a sucking loach and a rainbow shark?

• Thank you received: 0

jdforever12345 replied the topic: Re:jack dempsey

so u do have a male and female i use to breed jacks to sell to the lfs my male was 9 inches and female was 7 inches oh and the way i tell between males and females are by the gill plates the female will have blotchie spots on the bottom of half the gill plates and the males spots will be on the top half in yur pic male is on left female is on right hope all goes well for ya
Attachments:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds