cichlids and mess~!!!!

• ashley1984
  • ashley1984's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

ashley1984 created the topic: cichlids and mess~!!!!

ive got a bit of a problem!!!! ive got a 70 g tank with 2 juvenile tigers, 2 clown loaches, 2 plecsa nd 2 convicts, the thing is the bigger one of the 2 convicts is harassaing the smaller one and i dont think its fair and no matter how many caves i try to create the smaller one keeps getting bullied
WHAT CAN I DO TO STOP THIS?????
another thing is since i put in sand i must have to clean the sand near enough after every feeding, i know i must get a external filter to help drag all the crap!! but i just cant afford that at the moment, so what can i do to help this ???? cut on on feeding besides cleaning it at least twice a day????
i know how messy feeders oscars are and any other cichlid for that matter, i dont want to get rid of the convicts because they are my wifes best fish, the only other thing is that i must purchase an external filter,,
has anyone got an external filter for sale???
if i buy an external filter will this help with the crap all along the top of the sand????

any one with an external filter will you post on here or pm me plz

ashley-john

270 ltr 4ft (FLUVAL 405)
6 baby blue acaras , 1 male and 1 female geophagus eartheaters...
2 plecs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:cichlids and mess~!!!!

I'd better make something clear, whether you have sand or gravel, you would still have the same amount of crap in the tank, you probably just wouldn't see it as well with gravel. I suppose this is the only disadvantage of having a very light-coloured substrate, it don't show up the dirt more than a dark-coloured substrate like gravel.

A good external filter would sort your problem out straight away. I've said this time and time again, external filters that have a large capacity for holding biological and mechanical filtration the way to go when keeping Oscars. By nature Oscars are messy little critters, if you haven't got a filter that is capable of pulling all the solid waste out, you're going to end up with a filthy tank. The filter may very well be very efficient when it comes to biological filtration, it's not much good if it leaves all the solid waste in the tank.

Personally, I would go for the biggest external filter you can get. Some of the Eheim filters are real beasts, they can handle 1200 L quite easily. Putting one of those other hundred gallon tank would mean that only cleaning it every six-months

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Parachromis...accept no substitute
  • Thank you received: 78

Necromancer4 replied the topic: Re:cichlids and mess~!!!!

another thing you might try is to get a powerhead and direct the flow of water to push your waste to a corner. also you can sculpt the sand to create a low spot in a corner to help in collecting the waste in one area.

Warning..I will offend you at some point!!!

my goal is simple a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:cichlids and mess~!!!!

I have sand in my discus tank and i find all the crap collects under and around the edge of the decor so it dont look dirty. Still got to clean it regular tho

As for the convicts there is much you can do to stop the fighting. Convicts are aggressive cichlids, If the smaller fish is getting injured or is miserable and hiding away all the time then i would rehome one of them

I can't get no sleep

• ashley1984
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

ashley1984 replied the topic: Re:cichlids and mess~!!!!

well here is a pic of the 2 convict cichlids, i think that they are really nice fish, if one of the 2 has to go which one goes is it the bully or not???????obviously the bully aint it????

270 ltr 4ft (FLUVAL 405)
2 plecs.

• ashley1984
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

well i went up to my tank and i realised that 1 of them had dissapeared i think that he went up the intake, its a bit dissapointing i know but 1 of them had to go, i now for a fact that my o's wouldnt have touched them as they aint like that 1 bit, my tank now consists of
2 juvenile oscars
2 clown loaches
2 plecs
1 convict cichlids

is this ok and am i overstocked?????

270 ltr 4ft (FLUVAL 405)
2 plecs.

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

if your little con when into the filter well you gotta get him out. the mech filter will have caught him. this way you'll know if he's there or your o ate him.

when your fish get bigger you'll run into trouble with your nitrates and keeping them down.

try to picture 2 10" oscar 2 8" plecs a 4" con and your clown loaches in your tank. would you consider it overstocked. these might be how big your fish are in about 9 months

you can keep many fish in a small tank if your willing to do the maintainace.(ie water changes 2-3 times per week)

my goal is simple a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all

• ashley1984
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

i understand in what ur saying that i will have to do regular water changes i do at least 20% every week,is that ok ?????

well like i said in my last thread that i took the sand out so that it didnt go in my filter, and now i have put some of my old gravel in for the time being, it looks alot better than it did with just a bare tank and no substrate, well this is how my tank looks at the moment and its going to stay that way untill my o's get alot bigger :P

as for my internals when will it be ok for me to take at least one of them out???
i ask because some ppl have told me that a week will be fine, then other ppl say that i must leave them in for at least a month????
wats the truth behind this?????
i was thinking that it has nearlly been a week so i could take one of them out wat you fink??

270 ltr 4ft (FLUVAL 405)
2 plecs.

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

usually whenever i change filters i try to leave the old one on for at least 2 weeks to give the bacteria some to grow in the new filter. then i just keep an eye on my ammonia and nitrite to be sure the dont spike

as for your water changes use your nitrate reading to tell you when it needs changing

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:cichlids and mess~!!!!

It wont do any harm to leave the internal filters in for longer. If you are not sure then leave them in for a longer time

The easiest was to tell if you are doing enough water changes is to test weekly before a water change. If your nitrates are above 40 then you need to do more/bigger water changes

I can't get no sleep

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds