electric blue jack dempsey

• MetalHead88
  • MetalHead88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 created the topic: electric blue jack dempsey

has any1 had any experience with the electric blue jack dempsey or know anything of it? im thinking about getting 1 or 2 for the new tank im setting up. ive heard they are less aggressive the the normal jds and dont grow as big. i may keep just the 2 jds with no other tankmates because im not sure of their behavior. im thinking they are about as aggressive as an oscar. but i dont think i want to risk lossing fish, mainly the electric blue....because they are expensive. i know most of u guys are from the uk, but a 2''er would coast about $50, about 10 times the amount of a 2'' oscar. $100 for 2 fish is killin me, but i got the tank and everything for free, so $100 and i got a tank setup. lemme know what you guys think. heres a pic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Parachromis...accept no substitute
  • Thank you received: 78

Necromancer4 replied the topic: Re:electric blue jack dempsey

from what i've read on other forums ebjd are problamatic(prone to illness) with shorten life spans.they say this might be due to the inbreedeing that resulted in the colouring of the fish.

personally i have never had or know anyone who has had one but if they're pricey it might be something to look into.

here's a link to some info on them from other keepers

www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135462&highlight=ebjd

Warning..I will offend you at some point!!!

my goal is simple a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all

• MetalHead88
  • MetalHead88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Re:electric blue jack dempsey

hmmm...thanks for the link... . seems like they arent very hardy of fish. i dont think id risk that much money on something thats not gonna live too long. i think i was already talked outta it lmao. though i do think it would pay off if they survive.

• Coleopterist
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Coleopterist
  • Thank you received: 0

Coleopterist replied the topic: Re:electric blue jack dempsey

I know this is an old post, but perhaps it will still be of interest to you. I am a new member on this site. I am presently breeding Electric Blue Jack Dempseys (EBJD). I have four EBJD that are about 4", and 12 Blue Gene (BG) Jack Dempseys. The fish are still very young, but two different pair EBJD X BG have spawn three times now. I have about 200 young EBJD that are about 3/4" now, and some that are just up and swimming and are a couple weeks old now. Another spawn occurred this morning 24 Aug, 2008. This was a very large spawn, and will hopefully hatch out in the next couple of days. There is a lot of information on the web now regarding these fish. Normally a person would breed an EBJD with a wild type Jack Dempsey. The resulting fry would be Blue Gene (carry the gene for Electric Blue). Then, if you cross an EBJD with A Blue Gene, or cross two Blue Gene Dempseys together, you would begin to get some EBJD fry. The Blue Gene are much hardier and grow much more quickly than do the EBJD fry. For your information, I attempted to separate the male and female pair into a separate tank by themselves and the male beat the female half to death overnight. I put her and him back into the community tank with all the other EBJDs and BG breeders, and they are all getting along just fine. I put a 4" clay flower pot on it side in the tank on both ends of the tank, and they spawn in the pot. I also have three large EBJDs that have the "parrot beak" appearance, which I do not like, so I have donated them to our local pet shop and asked them to find homes for them. They are nice fish, but I don't like the head shape on these. If you are interested in these three, please email me, or contact me through this forum. mcclellanjr@mchsi.com

Jay R McClellan
400 N. Fairview
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
mcclellanjr@mchsi.com

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds