Texas not eating?

• ozzy
  • ozzy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

ozzy created the topic: Texas not eating?

Hello. Try and be brief! Got a 400 litre rio, 1 Red Oscar, 3 Silver Dollars and a Texas. The Texas has been in the tank for around two weeks and does not seemed to have eaten? The dollars are new and I have just returned a Midas who was very aggresive, and the Texas stayed in his cave for most of the time.Now the midas has gone the texas comes out and about but he won't eat. The silvers and the oscar eat fine.

Is he maybe still stressed, is he coming out at night and maybe picking from the bottom of the tank, what can I tempt him with? You feed the others and they are at the top gagging for it! Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Texas not eating?

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and pH? If not, please do so, we have to rule out poor water conditions. Also have a good look at the fish, is it breathing heavily at all, or does it look okay?

Try get in some frozen blood worm, defrost it and then pour it into the tank, this will dissipate through the whole tank . Maybe the Texas would be tempted into eating set down them. Obviously in cases like this, we can't rule out ill health, it's something you will have to consider if this carries on for too much longer. There is full in helpful articles calld help, "my Oscar won't" it may be worth your while having a read of this page

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• ozzy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

ozzy replied the topic: Re:Texas not eating?

Hello. I have given the Texas some bloodworm. He has had a little pick about. His top fin seems to always be flat and he will every now and then flip and shimmer across the tank or he will have alitle shake every now and then. Ph is 7.5, nitrate,nitrite and ammonia are 0. Any ideas please. The other fish are fine, silvers dollars and 1 red oscar.

Many thanks.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

check your nitrates again, it's impossible to keep it at zero. What kind of test kits have you got?

Is the Texas breathing heavily i.e. opening and closing its mouth rapidly.

This question is always popping up unfortunately, nine times out of 10 we haven't really got a positive solution. I've said this before, I'll say it again, fish are extremely difficult to treat when they are ill. It's not as if you can put them on the examination table and give them a good look over. I don't even think a vet would be able to help you, so I'm really at a loss

All I can suggest is keeping an eye on the Texas. make sure that your water is in pristine condition, ammonia zero, nitrite zero, and nitrates as low as possible. the fact that all the other fish okay does really indicate that it's a problem with the fish, and not poor water quality. there could be any number of reasons causing this to happen and it's very difficult to find out what is wrong. Just remind us how long this has been going on for. Have you tried putting in some live food, or maybe a small feeder fish?

• ozzy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

ozzy replied the topic: Re:Texas not eating?

Hello. Took a water sample to my local shop for another test. Ammonia is 0, Ph is 7.5, Nitrate is 0.3 which they said was spot on. Breathing seems ok, alittle heavy every now and then. Looks alittle gundgy around the mouth. Looks sort of white and like you want to wipe it for him? Maybe thats normal and Im being parinoid!! Its the shimmering that bothers me, sometimes its a pretty violent shake. I will just have to keep an eye on him, as you said there really isnt a great deal you can do to help a fish. Its not like a dog, if you know what I mean !!

Many thanks

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Parachromis...accept no substitute
  • Thank you received: 78

Necromancer4 replied the topic: Re:Texas not eating?

are you sure the nitrates are at .3 and not the nitrites? the only reason i ask is because of all the nitrate tester ive used i have never seen one that measures in such small increments.(unlike the nitrite) you should have a reading from your water of 0 annomia 0 nitrites and under 40 nitrates. also it would be in your best interest to purchase your own testing kit so you can test whenever you think things might be going on in your tank

hope this helps

Warning..I will offend you at some point!!!

my goal is simple a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Ummmmmm...I'm also a little worried that somebody has got nitrate, and nitrite mixed up. Nitrate cards normally show you readings of 0, 5, 10, 20, 40, 100, whereas nitrite & ammonia is 0, .25, .50, 1.0 and so on. I would urge you to go back to the shop and double check the readings and make sure you know exactly what each reading is, ammonia, and nitrite, nitrate and pH. The two toxins you really have to worry about are ammonia, and nitrite. Any readings above 0 is unacceptable. Whereas small amounts of these toxins are not normally fatal in a very short space of time, they can do irreversible damage to your fish without you even knowing about it.

I would advise anyone to use test kits made by aquarium pharmaceuticals. The reason being is the ammonia solution turns green if ammonia is present in the water, nitrite is blue, and nitrate is yellow, orange and then deep red. It's very difficult to mix them up unlike tests made by tetra which are all yellow, as far as I can remember

• MNeilssen
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Keeping fish all my life. 5 years with Oscars.

MNeilssen replied the topic: Re:Texas not eating?

Yes, certainly make sure not to confuse Nitrite and Nitrate.

As far as the behavior is going, that all seems pretty typical for a skiddish CA Cichlid. I didn't actually witness my Red Devil eating for a year or so. The shaking and shimmering is territorial behavior. Try observing the tank from as far away as possible. Your fish is likely very intimidated by you presence. All this will of course change over time.

Just for fun. If you can figure out where exactly in the tank this fish is trying to protect. Get on your knees and stick your nose right on the glass near that spot. You may just see this guy step up and try to fight you! That's always fun.

Keeping fish is only as hard as you choose to make it.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds