Blue Acara survey

• andrej351
  • andrej351's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

andrej351 created the topic: Blue Acara survey

Hey guys,

I've decided on getting a Blue Acara as a tankmate for my young oscar, but ive found so many different looking photos of acaras while searching the net that i wanted to get your opinions on one in particular. This one basically looks amazing and is exactly what i would like to see swimming around my tank.

So, please post your thoughts on any of the following questions. All opinions are greatly appreciated.

First, Is this a Blue Acara??

Does it look Male or Female and why??

Roughly how old or mature is it??

And finally, any tips on correctly choosing a young blue acara??

I've heard they can be easily confused with green terrors and stuff at a young age so thats what the last one is about.

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:Blue Acara survey

I have two blue acara that have quite different coloration from each other. Yours is slightly different from mine, by looking at the fins, it is a blue acara. I'm sorry, I don't know how to sex them, I've not had these very long, I've got to let mine mature before I can really study them properly. There is a possibility there'll be a color difference between the male and female.

As for which one you should go for, it all depends on what your fish shop holds at the time.

It's difficult to judge how big the fish is in the photograph you have posted so I can't really age the fish. However, from my experience so far, their growth rate is not as fast as the Oscars.

Just choose one that you like the look of, make sure it looks nice and healthy and you should be okay.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Blue Acara survey

Blue acaras make great tank mates. Yours pic looks slightly different to the ones i have seen and owned. The thing about blue acaras is that there are many fish that look very similar but in fact are different species. You just have to trust the shop has labeled them correctly.

I have 2 fish that were labelled aquidens pallidus. I have found no reference to them anywhere. They are about 6 inches and have many patterns and similarities to blue acaras. It is obvious they are the same family but also that they are different species

I can't get no sleep

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds