Severum and Red devil paired up

• Theaggressiveoscar
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Theaggressiveoscar created the topic: Severum and Red devil paired up

Hello guys!
Lately my red devil and green severum have been acting strange...the red devil is a male (or so I think because it shows a pretty big nauchal hump) and I am pretty sure the severum is a female (the female normally displays a dark purple or green color but now its fins are red and its belly is yellow which I think are mating colors).
They have been chasing each other around and took over a big pvc pipe in the middle of the tank.
and now....there are eggs in the pvc pipe! they both seem to be guarding it and don't let anything get near it.

is it possible that the eggs may get fertilized? if so what should I do with them and the other fish in the tank? has anyone ever heard of a severum X Red devil Hybrid?

I'm worried about my other fish because these two might get very aggressive in order to protect their eggs and so they might even kill the others.

Please help, soo confused :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Theaggressiveoscar
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Theaggressiveoscar replied the topic: Re: Severum and Red devil paired up

hope this helps

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: Severum and Red devil paired up

Doubtful that you will have viable fry. If they do pair up, your other fish could be in trouble.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: Severum and Red devil paired up

Isn't this how the Parrot fish 1st came into being?? RD X Sev??

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Theaggressiveoscar
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Theaggressiveoscar replied the topic: Re: Severum and Red devil paired up

fishguy66 wrote: Isn't this how the Parrot fish 1st came into being?? RD X Sev??

mmnn...that might be true, some sites say that it was at first a midas and a red head cichlid and there are some that say sevs and midas, I can't really tell which one is correct :unsure:

and I don't really know how big of a difference there is between red devils and midas cichlids or if they are just the same thing.

Actually, there was a misinterpretation from Cantonese which there is mention of a midas/red devil defect that breeders in Asia liked, and they said it looked like a gold severum. This defect or mutation was really just a bent spine ala round shape of the blood parrots.

If they could really breed you would have seen hybrids by now. Someone outside of Asia would have been able to do it, just like flowerhorns.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: Severum and Red devil paired up

Copy that, Rock. But in any case, keep a close eye on things, because a breeding pair will make life a living hell for the other inhabitants.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Theaggressiveoscar wrote: and I don't really know how big of a difference there is between red devils and midas cichlids or if they are just the same thing.

A midas has a taller body and smaller mouth. A red devil has a more bullet shaped body and really big lips (sort of like the wax lips that you can buy at the candy store and put on). If you didn't buy your fish from a reputable breeder or from a store who did, 95% chances are the red devil is really a midas x red devil hybrid that a lot of people are calling midevils. Nothing wrong with them, they are still a nice fish to have.

And as Jack has said, paired up fish will still cause havoc for the rest of the tank because they still think they can breed.

Do you have an extra tank to put the "pair" in?

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 438

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Severum and Red devil paired up

www.oscarfish.com/article-home/fish/90-red-devil-midas-cichlid.html

good article talking about the diff between RD and Midas

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

Just something I found from 2008 on a MFKer creating a hybrid with a blood parrot body shape using a Synspilum x red devil

www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?146990-my-red-devil-x-synspilum

Now if you continue to selectively breed, you get the BP we now know.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 3.102 seconds