Should I wait?

• Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

6629 created the topic: Should I wait?

I have recently (like last week) purchased a new 120g for my oscar and dempsey. I am concerned about my water quality in the tiny 29g i have them in. My oscar is around 3-4 in and dempsey is about 1-1.5 in. I do regular water changes on my 29 gallon. but i just cannot seem to get the water completley clear. I wonder if the water is just so over used from overstock that it cannot clear even if i have a good bacteria culture. so should i put them in the 120g during my cycle? I wonder if the however harsh the cycling water vs the overly stocked 29 is better. any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Should I wait?

take all the filters, water and fish from your 29 gallon and move them all to your 125. add tap water at a similar temperature ; add drops (PRIME).

shouldnt take long. you will need to add another filter or 2.

good luck.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 344

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Should I wait?

water tests will give us an answer, but it sounds like you have insufficient filtration on the 29 gallon, and the bacteria can't quite keep up with everything they need to process - so a little bit of ammonia stays behind, in your water. Bacteria are amazing, so they go and hunt down this ammonia, and make your water cloudy. Not pretty, but not immediately dangerous to your fish.

With those two fish in there, how often and how big are your regular water changes?

• Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: Re: Should I wait?

As Cebo said , if it is possible to move the filters to the new 120 gallon tank, then go for it now, this will speed up the cycling and can't be but benefical for your fish

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Re: Should I wait?

A lot of that depends on the water quality in your 29G tank. Cycling a tank with fish is not a good thing , but it can be done. If you can keep your water perimters good with doing frequent water changes in the 29G you should wait , but if the water is bad you mind as well move them , give them more space and the water may end up not being much worse in the uncycled tank. If you can get your hands on Prime or something compbrable that will detoxify for Ammonia and Nitrates you can safely do this if you are willing to do water changes every other day at least.Given that you already have an established filter and can move that to the new tank it should help a lot. The most important thing to help you would be for you to test your water and give us readings for Ammonia , Nitrites , Nitrates and pH. Preferable taken with a liquid test kit like the API Master Test Kit. And a little word of advice , since recently many people have had problems doing those tests. Read the instructions carefuly. And if you buy a new kit or have not used yours in a while , make sure to give the bottles for the Nitrate test a really good shake. It says bottle # 2 should be shaken for 30 seconds before the test , but Rocksor mentioned that if not used often or having sat on a store shelf for a while things settle in the bottom , so you should shake it for a good 2 to 3 minutes before using it.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: Should I wait?

You should get the 120GL, purchase a big canister & a wet/dry, add several dozen livebearers,(think swordtails), get a master test kit, & let it run this way for @ least 10 weeks to ensure proper cycling, all the while monitoring ammonia & nitrite levels. (I would also recommend you purchase a quality book on keeping cichlids; "The Cichlid Aquarium" by P.V. Loiselle is a great one, as it also speaks on nitrogen cycle management) While this is going on, do 75% daily WC's on that 29GL tank; after your big tank is done cycling, I would recommend you drip acclimate your Oscar & JD to ensure they acclimate to the new PH & hardness. Some people cycle a tank using pure ammonia, but I'm "old school", & don't believe in using potentially harmful chemicals to accomplish this.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

What do you do with the livebearers afterwards Jack ? I think its terrible to kill other fish to cycle a tank for another one , or just dispose of the cycle fish when you put in whatever you cycled the tank for.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

I usually smear them on a cracker w/ a little mustard......

Seriously, I simply take them back where I purchased them from. Swordtails, platys, guppies,etc are generally very hardy fish & will 9 times out of 10 make it thru a cycling. This method has been used successfully for decades, both in fresh & salt water, & I find it a LOT more advisable than having someone use harsh chemicals like pure ammonia, especially someone who is new to the hobby.

This is the way I have always cycled a tank, & will continue to do so & advise people to do. If done correctly, IMO it is the easiest & safest way to accomplish cycling.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

You kill me Jack ! :P. Remind me to not ever eat anything smeared on a cracker if I ever come to your house... :dry:

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

You never ate sardines???? The Underwood or Chicken of the Sea brands are awesome(in mustard, of course) ;)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 3.119 seconds