Finally ordering fish!

• seanjohn25
  • seanjohn25's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Driving is my ecstasy.
  • Thank you received: 3

seanjohn25 created the topic: Finally ordering fish!

As the weather has cooled down, and I have cut down on the fish I have in my aquarium, I am finally ready to get the fish i've been wanting for awhile....a pearsei. Ordering 2 Pearsei, 2 super red severums, and 2 rotkiel severums. Im using cichlidsoftheamericas.com for this order, as they seemed to have the best stocking list of what I wanted.

Im for sure keeping the 2 Pearsei's, and may only keep 1 of each of the Sevs but just wanted to get several while they are small and decide later on which will go well with each other.

So anyone have any experience with the Sevs? Im new to them, just wanna know what to expect. I believe all the fish are under 4" so they should be relatively passive towards each other at first.

I love cars/driving- I have a 2005 VW golf TDI- 40mpg in town, even while burning gassers =D (talk cars with me)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Finally ordering fish!

so what tank are they going in?

I have a rotkeil sev and love em! he has some great color !

I have also ordered from COA that is where I got my Hondo Jags from they are good at getting fish their and have a great stock you are right...

as far as sevs go they love plants much more than oscars do and its good to give them some veggies ... I also can not see them being as aggressive as the Pearsei's you are going to get... are they all going in the same tank?

you will have some great colors of fish soon thats for sure !!!

cant wait to see them

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• seanjohn25
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Driving is my ecstasy.

seanjohn25 replied the topic: Re: Finally ordering fish!

Well for now they are all going in my 135, running a fx5...should be alright for awhile. I know those pearsei's get huge, but from what I've read they aren't terribly aggressive. I'm also pretty involved when it comes to fish keeping, so being overstocked with these fish should pose too much of a problem for now, and in any case I can rehome to my buddies tank.

Your rokteil is beautiful! I think I saw a pic of it a while back, and that's what turned me on to the idea of sevs and once I saw the name I knew I had to have one.

Do you have lots of caves for the sev, or mostly just plants to break up line of sight? I'm hoping that have multiple sevs that they will group together and not get picked on by the pearsei. I've got some SD's also to help with any aggression, which worked back when I kept an arowana with several small cichlids.

I love cars/driving- I have a 2005 VW golf TDI- 40mpg in town, even while burning gassers =D (talk cars with me)

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

thanks a lot I'm sure yours will turn out great also!

And no caves I had one when he was younger and he never used it but now he is in the big tank and there is no caves just plants and some driftwood and he is happy...

and yes I think SD are a big part to a community tank no doubt love those guys !

• seanjohn25
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Driving is my ecstasy.

Yeah lets hope everybody comes in alive and with great colors. Im just looking for a nice calm colorful tank finally, and love the movement with the silver dollars.

I think I will stock up on some new plants for my tank, giving everyone some security in there. Its going to be a mad house once I get all the fish in the tank together.

How big did your severum get in the time you've had it? I have always thought of them as slower growers, and maxing around 8 or so inches.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Finally ordering fish!

good idea starting your community with many smaller fish. you can windle them down as they reveal their compatability. with cichlids , there personalities can vary so much. its nice to be able to weed out the bad apples if need be.

pearsei's arent aggressive. their nickname is the "Gentle Giant". they can hold their own if need be. they get huge, and fast, so keep that in mind. my favorite fish at the moment. (though i may need to euthanize :( :unsure: ).

you will not regret the severum. they are a great complimentary fish. they have some red shoulder ones at my lfs that they have been growing out for the past 6 months. ... if i go out of the CA only routine. i might have to swoop a couple. .... if my pearsei dies, i may go with a couple of s americans :whistle: (shhhhhhh ) ;)

good luck with your new fish. i'm sure your super excited. :cheer:

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Finally ordering fish!

pictures when it happens!

• seanjohn25
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Driving is my ecstasy.

Thanks Cebo! Really hope your pearsei pulls through, he's a great looking fish and its so tough losing your fav... Definetely get some red shoulder sevs, and keep them with your ALIVE pearsei.

I think my tank will be a little nuts at first with the sevs being territorial to the pearsei but I'm sure it will pass. A buddy of mine is also going to get some fish on my order too, so I might have a black belt cichlid and a lago catematico cichlid for a few days in there also. Seriously cannot wait another day, but gotta make sure we are ordering all the fish we want in one order.

Definitely will be some pics when they get here. Should be later on this week that I get em. Thanks for your guys responses, and I'll check back in with loads of questions once these little bastards show up haha ;)

• Thank you received: 29

GeorgeP replied the topic: Re: Finally ordering fish!

I have a sev that's pretty awesome, he's about 5", and he gets along fine in my tank. Just kinda minds his own business. However if any of the other fish in the tank wanna start trouble he won't back down. Great fish, real pretty and constantly doing something. Most of the time when people see my tank he's their favorite. You're gonna love yours, I can't wait to see pictures!

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

yes he has not gown very fast at all... and he is kind of around 7" right now his fins are very long but as for the body not as much ... I think he will keep growing but just a slow guy

love em tho gets mad when the chocolate bullies him and he goes and blow off steam by chasing around the SD hahaha

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds