I'm at a dilemma! Here are some pictures!

• scarhbar
  • scarhbar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar
  • Thank you received: 7

scarhbar replied the topic: Re: I'm at a dilemma! Here are some pictures!

Marshal wrote: I don't know what to suggest with the fish but congrats on the little one on the way.

Thank You very much! I'm excited!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• scarhbar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar

ehall67 wrote: I would sell the discus and tank for good money! and keep the really cool rarely seen pike.. and if it has personality then most def

plus discus are a lot of work like ken said ....

Yes! that was my plan originally! My Discus are at that point where they do not need the EVERYDAY water changes :D Just lots of food.

But I may have a solution! Read my post after I reply to all the comments :P

• scarhbar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar

Nina_W wrote: I'm with the rest of them, I favour the pike :)

Well thank you! Like I've told everyone else, look for my message at the end of all my replies haha

• scarhbar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar

BlueMoonJay wrote: Agreed. I would keep the pike. Discus are beautiful fish, but a lot of maintenance.

Well they are getting to that point where a billion water changes aren't needed! Feeding is really the issue now :P

• scarhbar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar

ehall67 wrote: That must be one really long class lmao!

Well I thought I was going to come home and get on the comp, but I was dead tired :P My day starts at 5AM and ends at 12AM haha.

• scarhbar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar

jnet wrote: congratz on baby hope you will be happy and you sure will be busy.

Keep the pike they are so cool and different. Discus are overrated and too much work.

How are you anyway long time no see. And love that shrimp tank tell me you are keeping that right because that is so cool. :)

Thank you :) haha I love both fish, so I couldn't choose a favorite, as they both have cool aspects!

It has been a long time! That's because I am buuuuusy :D Working, College Courses, CNA courses, and a high risk pregnant gf :P haha no complaining though! I am keeping the shrimp tank :) The pike LOVES the shrimp as a snack!

• scarhbar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar

Big-Ken wrote:

ehall67 wrote:

Firestorm8215 wrote:

Big-Ken wrote: Babies and discus are both alot of work, id keep the pike

So get rid of the Discus AND the baby ??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Congrats on the baby !!!

LMAO I didn't catch that !!!

LMAO :D :D neither did I :blush:

haha quote within a quote within a quote. This is inception ...or maybe Quotception!

Anyways, my Discus are starting to hit sexual maturity I think, and the super crazy maintinence I gave them when they were babies, seems to have lessened :P I personally don't think they are too much work :P

• scarhbar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar

Alright, here is the post I was wanting to post after I replied to you all:

I asked a few other forums (cichlid-forum, simply Discus, ect...) and they all offered a similar possible solution for me. They suggested possibly combining the Pike and Discus!

At first I was like HELL NO, but then I sorta thought about it. I think my Amazon Swords (10+) alone could filter that tank! But I have too many plants, and an FX5 filter running on the tank. Bioload is not a worry to me.

Next worry might be crowding. In my experience with the fish, the Discus occupy the top area, usually hiding among the tops of the Amazon Swords, or driftwood. The Pike usually hangs out near the bottom in the Ludwigia forest.

The one thing I might be worried about, is aggression however. Pikes are very predatory (in my experience) but I haven't had a really aggressive Pike. I've seen quite a few tanks on youtube with some other pikes in the lugubris group that have Angelfish in the tank, and that seems to be a pretty good system.

I would do a total rescape, and create almost 2 separate levels to the tank. The bottom would be a cave like area, with roots and plants covering the entrance. The top would have many tall plants for the discus to hide in. Its hard to explain, but there would definitely be two different areas.

Some of you are mentioning that the Discus do require a lot of time and care, however, I think those terms are subjective. These Stendker Discus from Hans are a cake walk compared to the wild caught nhamunda adults I recieved a few years back:

Those guys were some work! The Discus I have now are very hardy little guys :P I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I'm not really worried about how much care these guys need. The only issue I could think of might be aggression, but other than that. I'm not sure!

OR I could be super tired right now, and not thinking clearly :P Not sure! Let me know what you guys think about mixing them! Should I try it, or no?

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: I'm at a dilemma! Here are some pictures!

I was going to say your mind seems set until I got to thep oint you say you are super tired lol.

I dont know much about pikes and discus but the two level thing sounds cool and you can only try and see. It seems you are pretty commited to the hard work and dedicated to the discus and pike.

Im liking the idea it sounds interesting I want to see it happen but if your pike attacked your discus it could be too late to realise it was a bad idea. Even if you have a back up plan.

see what everyone else says I find it odd that they are being slow to respond.

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: I'm at a dilemma! Here are some pictures!

I don't know whether pikes or discus will mix. I do know though that adding more fish to a tank makes it more work. I also know that a water change twice a week on one tank is pretty much the same as a water change once a week on two tanks. So I don't know if this will reduce your tank labour at all - which is sort of the point here?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds