Green Terror help?!

• BlueNawaz
  • BlueNawaz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

BlueNawaz created the topic: Green Terror help?!

Really need help with this fish.And what an apt name they have given it.It is terrifying!.Yeah the problem i have is with the lighting.Not able to decide whether it needs the light or not.It is in a tank of its own.It doesn't have any tank mates neither any hiding places(i think this is an issue).The fish came exactly one week back to our house,it hates the net.It is very skittish towards us.When the light is on,it is very shy,hides behind the plants and prefers to stay away from us,unlike my oscars who are very friendly(at least not scared and do not run away from us).The tank is in the living room,which is a loud place sometimes.And at night when i switch off the lights of the living room.It becomes aggressive,its spines stand up(literally looks like a spinosaurus) and jumps in the tank and swims at lighting pace.It actually scared us.I mean it.May be thats the reason they call it Green terror?
So what type of lighting should it have?It seems to prefer dark,but becomes aggressive and scare us.This one or put the lights on and let it remain skittish and shy,away from us.
P.S:It is completely healthy,eats well,swims perfect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Green Terror help?!

Some fish are just skittish.

Being that he's just arrived in a new home he's probably still adjusting to the new environment. I've got a black piranha that's supposed to be one of the most aggressive piranha species and he's a big sissy when the lights come on. He's a juvenile though so he gets a free pass lol.

I would just give him time to adjust and I'm sure he'll come out of his shell and be more sociable.

As for the lights, honestly, I don't think he's going to care, the lights are more for the people than the fish so you can do what you want as far as on/off or bright/dim.

If you've got lights you like already I'd continue to use them, he'll adjust to those as well. If you want to go dimmer, you could use a diffuser or just dimmer bulbs all together.

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlueNawaz

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Green Terror help?!

from what you're describing can be it's not adjusted to the tank yet -

what size tank?
water condition? ph/amm/nitri/nitra?

• BlueNawaz
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

BlueNawaz replied the topic: Green Terror help?!

Tank is 55 gallons,GT is 2 inch in size,still a baby and it it is all by himself.I am obsessed with changing water,i change around 75% water every 6 days and since this fish is new i have changed 75% water twice in one week!and today i tried to remove some extra waste using a net and it FREAKED OUT!Ph level is around 7.3,water is relatively cold.

• BlueNawaz
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

THAT IS ONE BEAUTIFUL FISH!Its sad that they have made it Illegal to keep Piranhas in India!Hopefully the rule will change!

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Green Terror help?!

hey blue, when you say relatively cold - how cold is that?

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Yea, if you're not around 25-26c 78-80f you're on the chilly side, but all that would do is make the fish lethargic.

If you're running cool, bump the temp up till you're in the 25-26c zone and see if that makes a difference.

Bummer piranhas are illegal out there, I know in my state depending on which county you're standing in the laws are different from flat out illegal, to legal with a permit, to legal for scientific study, to just plain legal.

If you're interested in keeping piranhas and your local laws prohibit them, I suggest doing some research as to the normal water temperatures and see if piranhas could theoretically overwinter in your local ecosystems. I know where I live they cannot and I'm working to get the laws changed in the state as they were probably written out of irrational fear due to the bad reputation these guys have.

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

• BlueNawaz
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

As cold as normal edible water during winter.Still not as cold as a glass of water with one ice cube!The temperature here is 21'c

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

That's way to cold, he's probably freezing.

Remember tropical fish need warmer water to survive and thrive. Do you have a heater on the tank? If not you need one ASAP! Like I said, you want to shoot for around 25-26c. Once you get the temp bumped up, see if he doesn't start becoming more social.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BlueNawaz

• BlueNawaz
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I am very much interested in keeping Piranhas and it was the sole reason i bought a new aquarium(My second one).My first post in this forum was also about it.Then i came to know about them being prohibited.The reason they say is ridiculous to be honest.There have been stories on the village side that a piranha owner owned them,let them breed in a pond or something and they escaped and caused a lot of harm. :evil: Ha ha.. :P .So any person caught with piranhas is raided by the police and they take the piranhas and bury them in sand.Can you believe that?outrageous!.and seriously those Piranha 3D and 3DD movies don't help believe me!
I wanted to start with Red Belly piranhas ,a pair preferably.Then i heard they should be kept in schools of six for which there is a need for a huge aquarium!
Now the plan is on hold and i am waiting for them to be available.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds