Discus, Sevs, Dovii, Angel, flags videos of them in the wild!!

• ehall67
  • ehall67's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 created the topic: Discus, Sevs, Dovii, Angel, flags videos of them in the wild!!

just came across this after watching some videos..

thought this was really cooling seeing more of our "aquarium fish" out and about in the wild where they really live... just kind of crazy looking at it !

plus a few videos they have fry

what surprised me the most is just how close these cichlids were living with one another ... very close in proximity .. humm

Dovii pops up in this one lol

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

Marshal replied the topic: Discus, Sevs, Dovii, Angel, flags videos of them in the wild!!

I particularly like the second video. It's so cool to see them in natural habitat but somehow weird at the same time. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm so used to seeing them in tanks that I don't actually ever think of them as being out there in the river.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

ehall67 replied the topic: Discus, Sevs, Dovii, Angel, flags videos of them in the wild!!

yes the 2nd video was my favorite and actually the first on I watched !

I love when the dovii pops in and just like stares around lol

and it trips me out to!!! it is exactly liek you said I am so used to them in my tank it is hard to see them in the wild I want to clean the river lol but it makes me really want to go out there and see it for myself !

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

ehall67 replied the topic: Discus, Sevs, Dovii, Angel, flags videos of them in the wild!!

bump

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Discus, Sevs, Dovii, Angel, flags videos of them in the wild!!

i'd like to go fishing in the amazon instead of going to LFS :p would be nice to have only wild caught specimens, might be a bit harder to keep then tankbred fish but so much more fun in the long run.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

gorgoroth wrote: i'd like to go fishing in the amazon instead of going to LFS :p would be nice to have only wild caught specimens, might be a bit harder to keep then tankbred fish but so much more fun in the long run.

.... we my friend share a dream lol !

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Discus, Sevs, Dovii, Angel, flags videos of them in the wild!!

ehall67 wrote:

gorgoroth wrote: i'd like to go fishing in the amazon instead of going to LFS :p would be nice to have only wild caught specimens, might be a bit harder to keep then tankbred fish but so much more fun in the long run.

.... we my friend share a dream lol !

you allready being in the US gives you a major headstart on me, i have to fly halfway across the globe to get there :p tiny little Belgium...

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

O yeah I forgot you didn't live over here! lol

well yeah I do have a edge up on you lol

• Thank you received: 41

Marshal replied the topic: Discus, Sevs, Dovii, Angel, flags videos of them in the wild!!

I'd love to be in on the OFL fishing trip to the Amazon, the problem being I'd want to keep everything I catch.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Discus, Sevs, Dovii, Angel, flags videos of them in the wild!!

I don't much understand the wild caught fish thing. Never mind the extremely stressful journey to get to your tank (and the very high mortality rate, plus the frequent difficulty in feeding them there, plus the parasites), it is a myth that wild caught fish naturally have better colours or a better adult size. Some do, some don't, many pale in comparison to carefully selected tank-reared specimens. The only reason I can see for getting wild caught fish is to strengthen a breeding line, or to diversify genetic material, or to prevent extinction of the species. I guess there's the novelty of it as well. Oh, and of course the fish that simply cannot or have not yet been bred in captivity - like my own raphaels and the ever delightful rhombeus piranha.

A lot of harm has been done by people exploiting nature for wild caught fish (not always, sometimes this works with conservation to help preserve the species - but go read up on Endler's livebearers or otocinclus catfish). Being able to breed them ourselves is probably the greatest thing to happen to the hobby ever.

So, I guess I ask you guys, why do you want wild caught fish?
I don't mean to be offensive, I guess I just really don't understand.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds