Picky Eater

• otmmy
  • otmmy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7

otmmy created the topic: Picky Eater

Hello all Im looking to get a few tips on feeding my sev.So a few weeks ago I bought a baby rotkeil and when I bought him the lady working there said they have only been able to get him to eat bloodworms.But I thought I could get him on something else.Well nope he is such a picky little eater.I have feeding him a few different types pellets, brine shrimp ,little pieces of market shrimp,flakes but he will eat nothing but bloodworms and even then he will decide he doesnt what them and wont eat at all.I have try not feeding him for 5 days then tried feeding him again but nothing.He is a little asshat and staring to get on my nerves a little lol.I havent tried any veggies I am going to try some blanched spinach today.I heard they like peas but I really dont want to go out and buy some so he wont eat them.So if u all could give me some help on trying to get him to eat or some other foods to try I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You
Here is a pic of the little Devil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Picky Eater

Pellets are a bit harder than blood worms, and if he doesn't have any tank mates who are eating pellets it will take sometime for him to eat it as well.

Soak pellets in some liquid vitamins (or tank water) and see if he will eat that for about 5-10 minutes. Use a teaspoon or dropper. Feed this every day for 14 days. On the 15 day, feed a little bit of blood worms. Repeat until he starts to eat the pellets.

• otmmy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

otmmy replied the topic: Picky Eater

Ya I have been soaking them in water until they soft he still spits them out.But I will try to keep doing it for 2 weeks he just gets really thin and I get a little scared so I usally cave.But I guess I will have to be strong for his sake.And I did try some blanched spinach and he did eat a little of it

You could slip in blanched spinach a few times within the 14 day period, I just wouldn't feed the blood worms for 2 weeks. There's also spirulina flakes that have pretty decent protein content like Spirulina 20 by Zoo Med or Spirulina flakes by Ocean Nutrition.

• otmmy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

All right thank you I will pick up some and give them a try.

• otmmy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Was feeding my fish some of those New Era cichlid pellets and my severum was eating them.He loves the them so much I think because they are really soft and easy for him to chew.So its a big relief having found a pellet he will eat.Just wondering though if I should try and get him on some flake food or it a diet of mainly pellets and some spinich and the occasional blood worm treat would be enough?
Here are the pellets im feeding
www.new-era-aquaculture.com/fish-food/tropical-range/centralsouth-american-cichlid-pellets

Just pellets with some other food is fine. I would lay off the blood worms for at least 1 month.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Picky Eater

New era food looks interesting Rock what is your take on it ?

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds