55 gallon cichlid tank.

• Josh7
  • Josh7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Josh7 replied the topic: 55 gallon cichlid tank.

He is about a year old but at a year shouldn't he be bigger than 5-6 inches lol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: 55 gallon cichlid tank.

My 4 month O is 5ins. They generally gain an inch a month till around 9ins, then tend to become thicker.Tank space and clean water will dictate healthy growth rate. Why yours is only5-6 at one year, cant say other than poor conditions, but you claim to do regular changes and cleaning, so....???

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I do honestly once a week 50 percent water changes and he looks healthy like a normal O just small. But I mean by water has always been fine he's never been in bad water in my tank.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: 55 gallon cichlid tank.

Don't clean your filters so often!!!!! That's where your bacteria lives!!!

If you want a cichlid pair go with a salvini or firemouth. salvinis are ideal for a few reasons.
First off they are beautiful
Next they don't grow as large as many other cichlids.
And they are very easy to sex. So youll be sure you have a male and female.

You can also do jack dempseys. Youd be really close to the limits of a 55 but a pair of JDS can absolutely thrive in a 55

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Ok I won't clean them as much how about once a month I just squeeze sponges in tank water is all I do to clean them. And I have really wanted salvini cichlids for a long time but no one around here has any at all just a thought probably not a good idea but convict cichlids lol. They breed a lot right could I get 1 pair and use the young as feeders for a Oscar? Jw. If I got firemouths could I get any tankmates if I had a single breeding pair of firemouths in a 55?

No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration

a bit expensive for a 2" salvini.... but if u really want them u can order them. usually youd expect to spend about 7 bucks for one of these in store. it'll cost ya about triple that after shipping and all.

you could probably get away with a smaller sized tankmate perhaps a female convict? or a type of catfish as far as bio load goes.

but heres the problem. if your really set on breeding.... a tankmate would eat the fry... and also the pair is going to get very aggressive and they'd most likely want that 55 for themself.

firemouths can also be hard to sex sometimes...you may end up with 2 males and you'll never get eggs like that!!

you can absolutely feed convict fry to your oscar. i did convicts awahile ago and it was just too easy for them to breed and they get super aggressive. the lfs dont even want convict babys because everyone is always bringing them in. i have a female convict at the moment.... but im not sure id ever want to keep a pair again.

im still saying go with the salvinis if you can find them!

btw - i have no idea how i posted the ebay post like that. i just wanted to link it to you! haha pretty cool though.

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Alright but you said a pair of Jack Dempseys would work that's awesome haha how do you recommend breeding these guys I actually really want these do I need to do anything for a pair to breed?

Its mostly a waiting game.first off you need the fish.JD Males sexually mature around 7inches I believe. So even if they don't reproduce for awhile you still have 2 beautiful fish. If you do the JDS that means no tank mates.

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

So could I start out with like 4 small JDs wait for 2 to pair off regime the others and keep the pair right?

yep. id separate them as soon as you could pick one male and one female out.... which can be heard sometimes. id def separate them before they pair. depending on how small they are it could take 2+ years for them to pair. im a big fan of buying fish as babies and raising them since day 1 on my own.

just be sure that you have a safe home for them before you buy them. after raising a fish for awhile id be sure that they get a safe home. i personally wouldnt put myself in that situation where id have to pick and choose what to give up.

when i had my jd pair, i simply got lucky that 1 ended up to be female and one was male. i thought i had 2 males for quite some time. but they did eventually pair. and now i have 4 babies left

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds