Breeding---is this possible?

• Eyebedam
  • Eyebedam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

Eyebedam created the topic: Breeding---is this possible?

So some of you may have seen the thread i had with pics of my Carpintis, & I made the comment on how I wish they would start spawning soon.. Well that's hasn't happened yet. That being said there is also a Blood Parrot in the same tank. It was in the tank first & ever since I added the Carpintis 1 of them $ the blood parrot always seemed to get along decently. Well over the past couple days I've noticed my substrate has been moved in all types of ways & 1 of the Carpintis has started looking like its going into spawning colors & today the parrot has what looks like its breeding tube coming out. .. I know some folks hate hybrids but its not like I'm going to be flooding the market with these.. Mum just curious if it is possible & if so any idea what the fry may look like? If it happens I plan on just growing them out for my own curiosity & possibly have my daughter involved in the project for a science project for school.

Thanks in advance for comments & suggestions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Breeding---is this possible?

i would say anything can happen ... if your fish is in the mood ... i don't see why not ...

you'll get a red texas - it'll be awesome if you have a mating pair... let's see them pics

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Breeding---is this possible?

I would comment the opposite on that. I would not want the spawn from that, they would not be RedTex, as Carpintis is not a Texas cichlid, although sometimes referred to as Green Tex.And the parrot being a hybrid of its own, you are just getting a more watered down strain.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Eyebedam
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Eyebedam replied the topic: Breeding---is this possible?

Watered down or not, it could be a decent looking fish. I'm more curious as to what the final outcome would look like. I don't plan on selling fry or putting them in the market. It would be more for my own curiousity, & for practice in rearing fry. A way to test & play with new techniques & gaining exp. if something awesome comes of it then that's great.. If the ugliest thing in the world comes out then that's great to. My kids school always has crazy science projects & this may be a cool project for my daughter to assisting with instead of doing the stupid volcanoes that everyone seems to do these days. It's quite possible nothing at all will happen. I was just curious to see what may happen if it does.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Breeding---is this possible?

Breeding can happen since a blood parrot is essentially a mix of central american cichlids. The chances of viable fry are higher if the BP is a female and the texas is a male.

final outcome would be a flowerhorn, whether a short body or normal body is anybody's guess.

BP x green texas, one example

non-the-less it's a neat science project for the kids ...

i really dislike those short body / balloon hybrids .. really peeves me off

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Breeding---is this possible?

nice page .. like how he documented it all ...

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Breeding---is this possible?

Yes a good kids project....but better would be to instill the critical importance of protecting pure fish from hybridization. Many of our fish are threatened in the wild. Once the wild populations drop. No more pure genes....ever. If you do not think it can happen try to get guaranteed pure Victorians. Many Malawi species are hopelessly mixed now. Malawi is in serious trouble now , in a few more Years it is likely the wild fish supply will dry up. Then everything will be mixed Malawi mutts. Hybrids will be the death of pure fish to the great detriment of the hobby. Seen a pure red devil lately, how about a Midas?

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Eyebedam
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Eyebedam replied the topic: Breeding---is this possible?

bassetman wrote: Yes a good kids project....but better would be to instill the critical importance of protecting pure fish from hybridization. Many of our fish are threatened in the wild. Once the wild populations drop. No more pure genes....ever. If you do not think it can happen try to get guaranteed pure Victorians. Many Malawi species are hopelessly mixed now. Malawi is in serious trouble now , in a few more Years it is likely the wild fish supply will dry up. Then everything will be mixed Malawi mutts. Hybrids will be the death of pure fish to the great detriment of the hobby. Seen a pure red devil lately, how about a Midas?

I see what your saying but my question is, do fish not hybridize in the wild? If populations are getting so slim why aren't limits on collecting put in place, since most aquarium fish once accustomed to tank life are never returned to the wild? I will say again, if this happens I'm not planning on putting these in the market. All fry will be put into grow out tanks at my house to see what comes of them. If I get a few stunners ill keep them. Ill prob feed a bunch of the fry to other fish.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds