Breeding---is this possible?

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Breeding---is this possible?

Responsibly done there is no problem or danger. Be careful if you give any to friends ect. They may not be as careful.

By and large wild fish do not hybridized. They spawn at different times or places. Have different cues to receptability and readiness . Many of these countries place more value on dollars than species.

Habitat destructin is the main issue.....there is nowhere to put fish back into. I have sent hundreds of Victorian fry back to the lake. There are several programs aimed squarely at re-establishing native cichlids in lake Victoria tanganyika and Malawi.

For ca SA fish the habitat for many is so small. A prized morph may only come from a small stretch of one small river. Many rivers in Central America are only 20-30 miles long in total.

There are limits starting to be imposed on some Malawi and tanganyikan fish right now. The next ten years will see many prized fish specie become completely unavailable.

It is important to maintain what we have now in the way of genetic diversity. Once they are hybridized they are worse than useless to helping the specie survive.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eyebedam
  • Eyebedam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

Eyebedam replied the topic: Breeding---is this possible?

You make some great points...however since I don't have any friends that have tanks I guess I'm good there.. Like I said it was more out of curiosity for me.. I didn't really plan on this happening & whatever comes of it would be destroyed or feed.. Not traded.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Breeding---is this possible?

I understand , good luck with it. :)

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Breeding---is this possible?

So your male Carpintis looks like this? Mine has looked almost completely black at times. Can you post a picture/ video of both fish.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds