My Green Terror Thread

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: My Green Terror Thread

I use discus bio-gold for under 2 inches. It's easier for them to eat than hikari baby. But if I had Spirulina flakes, I would do that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

scarhbar wrote:
I see what you're saying! He does scavenge for food after I feed him his pellet, and always through out the day. But I'll definitely do a lot of small meals through out the day. Maybe only one pellet at night to hold him to the morning?

I don't feed my fish a couple of hours before they sleep (no later than 7pm). It's not necessary.

• scarhbar
  • scarhbar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar
  • Thank you received: 7

scarhbar replied the topic: My Green Terror Thread

Rocksor wrote: I use discus bio-gold for under 2 inches. It's easier for them to eat than hikari baby. But if I had Spirulina flakes, I would do that.

I actually have some of that left over from my Discus! Thanks for reminding me!

• scarhbar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar

Week two! I don't do pellets every day, but occasionally! As stated in the video, his fins are probably 90% better than what they were! I see great potential in this fish :)

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: My Green Terror Thread

Great tank and nice little gt. I think they are one of the best looking cichlids out there. Keep the updates coming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scarhbar

• scarhbar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar

Alright, 2 more questions:

1) What size should he be upgraded to a bigger tank? Keep in mind that it is 29 gallons now

2.) How should I scape this tank? Here's my thought: I could put a sword on one side, with some large rocks near the base so he can't really dig it up easily. The longer roots make it hard for a lot of cichlids to uproot them surprisingly as I've found out. And maybe a nice big cave for him made of rocks, with some manzanita branches coming down over the cave? Here's my super rough sketch!

• scarhbar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar

robham7770 wrote: Great tank and nice little gt. I think they are one of the best looking cichlids out there. Keep the updates coming.

Thank you! I plan to do it weekly for a couple months, then bi weekly then monthly. We'll really get to see how he grows with this food :)

• Thank you received: 40

ehh replied the topic: My Green Terror Thread

If it's a male it can get some size on him eventually. I think long term it'll need to be in a 75. But from a 29 the typical next size up is a 55. If you provide him with a cave he might hide all the time. I think I've read that they're normally hiders. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

They do tend to stay in the lower half of the aquarium. They are not free swimming like oscars, even with dithers.

I would just get the 75g or even 90g. Add some dithers like rosy barbs.

As far as aquascaping, your idea sounds interesting.

• scarhbar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar

ehh wrote: If it's a male it can get some size on him eventually. I think long term it'll need to be in a 75. But from a 29 the typical next size up is a 55. If you provide him with a cave he might hide all the time. I think I've read that they're normally hiders. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I've got my 75 outside right now waiting for him :) our landlord said no fish tanks over 30 gallons at first, but she sees we keep the place very nice, so I can upgrade my tank size with the new lease!

As for the cave, maybe it would be best not to have a cave at all?? Maybe just a few hiding spots? He's a really friendly fish already, but does that change as they grow older and as a single fish? I've really only raised groups of cichlids together

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds