Thinking of starting New cichlid tank with Parrot cichlids ???

• cujo0777
  • cujo0777's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

cujo0777 created the topic: Thinking of starting New cichlid tank with Parrot cichlids ???

I just want to get some general information about parrot fish before I decide to do a New tank setup .

How big do parrot fish get ?
What other fish would work with them ?
What do they eat ?
How big of a Tank would I need for 2 to 4 fish ?
Are they fast growers ?

If u guys can help me figure some of this stuff out that would be great . I can't get enough of these awesome S.A. Cichlids . Hoping to start a New tank soon when I get my taxes back .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Thinking of starting New cichlid tank with Parrot cichlids ???

Hoplarchus Psittacus is an Amazonian cichlid native to the Rio Orinoco system in SA...as such, they are a "blackwater" species that demands pristine water, so efficient & effective biological & mechanical filtration is a must, (they are very prone to HITH & bloat if not given immaculate water!!) & I would state true Parrot cichlids also need soft, acidic water to do well. They will not do well in basic water, & will decline rapidly if kept in hard, alkaline water. They also prefer very warm water, akin to Discus, as in 84F as a starting point!!

They will do well on a prepared diet, but that must include greens of some sort, along w/ the occassional offering of earthworms....I would also offer FD krill soaked in a vitamin to ensure they get the vitamins/minerals they need.

H. Psittacus gets max around 18", so a big aquarium is a must....I would state no less than 200GL for 4 individuals.

Tanksmates should be SA in origin, I would never keep one w/ their exponentially aggressive CA cousins.....but Severums, Festivums, Uarus, Chocolate cichlids,& possibly Oscars as potential tankmates....but cichlid compatibility in never guaranteed.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cujo0777

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Thinking of starting New cichlid tank with Parrot cichlids ???

They are generally more aggressive than the average oscar.

Ideal tankmates include pikes, festae, and cichla or any other fish willing to stand up to their aggressive nature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cujo0777

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds