6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier created the topic: 6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Henry and Adie have been behaving themselves lately, so my partner and I have been discussing what to do with the other 6 x 2 we have assuming they keep behaving themselves.

He has his heart set on getting at least one gold severum so that's set, but aside from that I really have no idea what else to put in there. We're thinking about going for a (relatively) peaceful SA tank. Any ideas? We've been thinking along the lines of earth eaters, acaras, maybe a chocolate cichlid and a few more SDs to act as dithers, but no real species are set in stone yet aside from at least one gold severum. I'm not too sure about the bioloads either. Most info I've found about stocking SA tanks usually has them pretty overcrowded.

Edit: It's 180US gals (150 UK gal)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Join the Dark Side...... :evil:

Get a CA......like a Dovii......impressive. most impressive:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

YESSS! The Dark side needs more members. You should be our first(that I know of) forum regular to raise a spectacular, most evil Trimac. Enough milquetoast SA pretty boys. Go big and bad!!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: 6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Lol, you guys...

Pure trimacs are all but impossible to get here because people (read: idiots) interbred them with flowerhorns like crazy. There's also not much market for them because people assume they're 'low grade' flowerhorns, whatever that means, and they can't be imported here so no Jeff Rapps one :( I'd have to do a lot of research to try and track one down if I went that route.

I've also got a 4 x 2 (120 gal). The idea we were thinking was to give a juvie jag that one, let my partner make his cutsey gold severum SA tank in the 6 x 2, then do what you did Suprd and upgrade the Jag to a 6 x 2 when he gets on the larger side... But, something something dark side.

I found this: www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/roxburgh-park/fish/oscar-dovii-wolf-cichlid-/1054745984

And this: www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ashwood/fish/umbee-cichlid-tropical-fish/1054423001

There's some ads for jags too.

If I join the dark side how dark should I go? :evil:

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Both fish surely members of the Dark Side! Male Umbee, if it is male, will outgrow a 180g. The Dovii is interesting. It looks female, and the seller states the Oscar is the tank boss. A male Dovii of similar size would put that Oscar down in a blink. Female Dovii in a 180 would be a very cool deal! Confirm the gender(Jack) and consider that for sure.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Yup, that looks to be a female Dovii.......& I would stay clear of that "Umbee"......body looks stunted, & I'm not altogether sure that's not a hybrid.

Female Dovii's are cool....but the males are a spectacular fish.

You could do a Jag, or maybe look for a pair of P. Loisellei or P. Friedrichstahlii. I've had both & they are beautiful fish.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

That's disappointing about the Umbee. I was tempted to call them today. How long could you keep one in a 6x2x2 if it was a juvenile male, do you think? Alone of course. If I got an Umbee or male Dovii it'd definitely be under the assumption that we'd be wanting to get a bigger tank before it starts to outgrow the 6ft.

If I went a Dovii I'd probably want to go for a male, but I have to admit I am tempted by that ad. Hmm.

You can't get P. Loisellei here anymore :( But I have heard that you can get P. Friedrichstahlii. Rare though. We have such strict import laws that most American cichlids can't be imported. If they're not bred they're permanently lost to us down here so a lot of species' existence here is entirely dependent on the market for them.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Emailed the guy about the umbee to get a few more pics. He does look a bit.. odd, but from what the guy told me I was able to track down where he got it from, and it does seem it's a pure one. Talk me out of it please. I'm going to see if I can source any other Umbees, but like all the dark side fish they're really not easy to find here.

I also emailed the guy with the Dovii and oscar - both have already been sold.

So, Dovii, Umbee or Jag? I'm trying to convince my partner that a juvie jag in the 4 x 2 PLUS a Dovii or Umbee in the 6 x 2 is a good idea, instead of a gold severum setup in the 6ft. I really do want a jag. The giant CA in the 6ft tank is an idea that I blame you two for lol. He... isn't sold on the idea, but does like the derpy looking Umbee :side:

Edit: Woah... apparently that umbee was 16 months old. I can't believe that, and needless to say I'm not going to consider it.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Some hard choices to make for sure. Wish i had that problem right now. A local club member has a bunch of 1 inch Dovii fry he's trying to get rid of.... 10 for $20. If only i had the tank space.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Pearsei !!!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds