6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Jag....but shoot a pic 1st. Dovii in the 180GL.

Yeah......steer clear of that Umbee. If is indeed a full Umbee, which I don't agree with, then it's inbred to the Nth degree & has bad genetics. Shame.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: 6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Don't worry, definitely steering clear of that Umbee. I'm just assuming that poor Umbee is stunted terribly - how can one only be 15cm long if it's over a year old? Boggles my mind.

Pearsei huh? Hmm.... Maybe. DMD get in here and tell me about them :P

Browsing gumtree again - here's the only jag in my (general) area up at the moment www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kurunjang/fish/american-cichlids-4-sale/1055513095 last picture.

Edit: There's an aquarium place an hour or so away that *might* have both juvenile Umbees and Dovii. Going to give them a call in the morning as they're not open Mondays.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

We decided that we'll 100% be getting a juvie jag for the 120gal, and go with either an umbee or dovii for the 6x2, depending on what we find first that is healthy and in good condition. The dark side is tempting indeed. My partner still wants a gold severum but he caved... for now.

On topic - I called the fish store today, and they have 6 juvenile umbees! They're between 4 - 7cm long apparently. No wolf cichlids - they sold the last one a few days ago. Out of curiosity I called all the LFS in my local area as well, and all the main ones in Melbourne and this place is the only one that stocks them. Most of the Melbourne stores referred me to them lol.

Anyway, we're going to have a look tomorrow. I'll try and get a picture of them to get people's opinions before I go stupid and end up buying one, but in the mean time I'd love some pointers on how to pick out a good quality umbee in case I do go stupid. This LFS is over an hour from me, so any tips for transporting one home would be wonderful too. We won't be purchasing one tomorrow but may well end up getting the place to hold one for us while we get things set up here.

How long could I keep a male umbee happy and healthy in a 6x2x2, do you think? The end game with a fish like an Umbee or Dovii would be to eventually put it into a 300gal+ tank if it was male, then put the jag into the 6x2x2. We'd go with a plywood build for a tank that size so it'd be good to know what our time frame for that project would be.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

That Jag looks to be female.

As far as transporting goes....a minnow bucket that has a battery operated air pump attached to it would be great....or a large cooler that you could hook up that same to....along w/ a sponge filter(hopefully cycled) would be ideal. That's how I transport fish.

A 180GL would probably be good for a year or so for a Dovii, depending on if it's M or F. Females only get about 18" or so (only!!). Males can get over 28"....Same goes for Umbees.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Awesome, thanks Jack! We've got 5 gal buckets with lids and battery operated air pumps. I'm wondering if a smaller bucket might be better if we end up getting one of these tiny Umbee juvies though. I'm sure this LFS won't mind if I request that they 1/3 fill a bucket with their water then hook up the battery air pump instead of using an aquarium bag. I don't currently have a cycled sponge filter, but for an hour or two only ammonia shouldn't be too much of a concern I hope. If you think it might be I could always take out a bit of bio media from one of the filters at home and put it in a stocking, and set up a small air stone underneath it? Would that work? The alternative would be to add some Safe to the water, and just hope we don't get pulled over by the police on the way so I don't have to explain why I have fine white powder in a ziplock bag.

I'm not sure (and don't mind) if we will end up with a female or male, but I'll assume male as that's the scenario where a big, big tank will eventually be necessary. Don't worry, I'm well aware of how large they get, so I'm not taking the idea of purchasing one lightly.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

If ya have a sponge filter laying around or can purchase one quickly, I would suggest that you set one up ASAP in your established tank......can't hurt to have one for extra filtration, & when you need a portable biological filter, you will have one. SF's are GREAT when the power goes out, too.....just have a battery operated air pump & some fresh batteries handy, & you will still have a functioning bio-filter until power comes back. I lost power several times this past summer in Philly, I have SF's in all my tanks, & as we lost power a couple of times for a few hours, I was glad I did. ;)

Barring that, yeah, you should be OK for an hour or 2, as long as temp extremes are avoided (which is why I use a minnow bucket/cooler...insulated).....& I would recommend you drip acclimate whatever fish you get when you get home. That's what I always do, works out OK for me.

Good luck & let us know what you get. B)

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Just a note on some of my travels to pick up fish.. I use a Coleman cooler with about 5gals of water in. My Jag was about 6- 7ins when I got him, he was in cooler about 3 hours. I did put a drop of Prime in though, as the water was filth from his tank, and thats all I could get. Brought my Dovii home same way, minus the Prime as the seller had very clean tanks. Several hours of acclimation, all was, and still is good. Looking forward to your new guys, or gals!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Hmm, I see. We've got a couple of coolers lying around but I think they're only 10L (2.5gal) capacity. I'm wondering whether that'd be ok if we end up getting one of these little juvie Umbees, but if not we'll get a larger cooler or bait bucket.

We've got 2 small sponge filters lying around, actually. We were going to put them in our tanks a while ago but completely forgot about it, whoops. I'll rectify that.

Definitely going to do drip acclimation. It's what we did when we brought Adie home (the water she came in had 160ppm+ nitrate and hardness was off the charts) and I'm sure it's what enabled her to survive the transition to our relatively soft water here.

We've actually got a tiny little heater lying around somewhere too. It's a 50 or 100W, and would easily fit in a reasonably sized bait bucket or cooler so the temp could remain constant for the little guy (or girl) while we do the drip acclimation.

Only thing left to figure out is what to do with filtration. We have a spare Fx5 and I'm going to trade a bucket of bio media from the big tank into it, but I want to get a second filter like I have on Henry's tank as well. I'm browsing Amazon at the moment. Let's see if they have anything they'll actually ship to Aus.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Hah. Guess who just bought an API Filstar XP-L for $43AUD? :D

I had over $100 on my amazon gift card balance I hadn't used in a year, and Amazon ship it to Australia! They didn't ship the XL but I'm not complaining.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

I brought the Dovii home in a small cooler like you have. almost 3hrs in the car and about another 6 or so as I added and removed water to get him used to my tank water. Obviously not a problem. You can oxygenate while traveling just by scooping and dumping, but for an hour or so you will certainly be just fine.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds