6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Good luck!! Mine leaked everywhere and scared me for life. Lmao

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: 6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Lammergeier wrote: We decided that we'll 100% be getting a juvie jag for the 120gal, and go with either an umbee or dovii for the 6x2, depending on what we find first that is healthy and in good condition. The dark side is tempting indeed. My partner still wants a gold severum but he caved... for now.

On topic - I called the fish store today, and they have 6 juvenile umbees! They're between 4 - 7cm long apparently. No wolf cichlids - they sold the last one a few days ago. Out of curiosity I called all the LFS in my local area as well, and all the main ones in Melbourne and this place is the only one that stocks them. Most of the Melbourne stores referred me to them lol.

Anyway, we're going to have a look tomorrow. I'll try and get a picture of them to get people's opinions before I go stupid and end up buying one, but in the mean time I'd love some pointers on how to pick out a good quality umbee in case I do go stupid. This LFS is over an hour from me, so any tips for transporting one home would be wonderful too. We won't be purchasing one tomorrow but may well end up getting the place to hold one for us while we get things set up here.
How long could I keep a male umbee happy and healthy in a 6x2x2, do you think? The end game with a fish like an Umbee or Dovii would be to eventually put it into a 300gal+ tank if it was male, then put the jag into the 6x2x2. We'd go with a plywood build for a tank that size so it'd be good to know what our time frame for that project would be.

Lammergeier,, I live in Melbourne as well in Ferntree Gully can you tell me where this LFS is I would like to have a look.

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: 6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

www.rayonneaquarium.com.au/ should help ernie. It's not far from Coburg Aquarium.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

There were 4 juvie umbies. 1 was incredibly shy and hid, 1 was fairly indifferent and just swimming around, one was completely insane and was trying to bash through a divider to get to a jag, and one had a nipped fin, but the best overall colour and was the largest at an intimidating not-quite 5cm long.

We weren't going to go for the one with the nipped dorsal fin. We weren't. Truly. We were going to go for the bonkers one... But the bonkers one was absolutely terrified of us.

So we went to have another look at Mr. Nipped Fin, and this happened.

Straight to the front of the glass wagging his teeny tiny tail.

Picking him up Tuesday.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: 6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Lammergeier wrote: So we went to have another look at Mr. Nipped Fin, and this happened.

Straight to the front of the glass wagging his teeny tiny tail.

Lol. Little Umbie is like: "Are you my mommy?"

I think it is good you didn't go with the insane one after hearing some of the stories about the large ones ramming their heads against the glass. The nips will heal.

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: 6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Lammergeier wrote:
Picking him up Tuesday.

Why does that part not surprise me, dude? :P

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Yeah, I can understand the appeal of hyper-aggressive fish, but I'll always take a more personable fish over something aggressive even if the species does belong to the dark side :D

It's funny, the woman at the store said the fin wouldn't heal up and dropped $10 off the price for that little guy because of it. If it doesn't heal it doesn't, but I'm betting a month in some nice clean water and a 6x2x2 all to itself will prove her wrong. The photos are terrible but that little one has some lovely colours for such a small fish. Getting some blue speckling on his gill plate and some red edging on his dorsal fin.

@Rogue: Because you know we're crazy? lol.

My partner's going to build the stand for the 6x2 over the next couple of days, then we're moving it into the (soon to be) fish room on the weekend.

This fish place was pretty cool. Conditions weren't perfect, but were pretty good by LFS standards and the variety was just insane for a store in Aus. They had some I've never seen anywhere else - a giant male umbee (not for sale), P. Friedrichsthaliis (should I get one instead of a jag?!?!?!), Bocourtis, a beautiful Synspilum, a giant red oscar with the best colouration I've ever seen on an O in any pet store, 2 veil tail albino oscars, a giant old peacock bass they'd rescued (not for sale), on and on and on it goes.

No fish had any sign of HITH (even the giant oscars) which I was surprised at. The Peacock Bass looked terrible, but it's written on his tank that he was rescued from near death so I'm assuming they're scars.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Synspilum. ..love the colors

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Yeah, it was a good one. Very friendly too. I'm just thinking that due to its large size a 4x2x2 really wouldn't cut it for a fish like that - it was around 30cm long. The gallons would be ok, but only 4ft of swimming space for a fish like that would make me (and it) sad.

My partner wants to name the umbee Weenie. NOT gonna happen!

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:6x2 South American Tank - Need Ideas!

Hey Jack or Suprd, thoughts on the baby before I pick him up?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds