New Videos! Pat the Umbee Edition 4 Feb 2015

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Now with timelapse silliness 28 Jan 2015

daddadoo7 wrote: Lol ganbie looks like is a maniac

Fixed ;) and I know right? I cracked up when I watched it before uploading. Crazy little guy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Now with timelapse silliness 28 Jan 2015

So are you going to build a plywood tank or just look for an 8 foot tank when the time comes (like in 6 months)? I was recently surfing the YouTubes for Umbee vids. They are so impressive looking when they are older. While I don't think I will ever get one, I have thought about getting a Hatian Black Nasty (Nandopsis haitiensis) at some point. Same attitude, with slightly less space requirements.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Now with timelapse silliness 28 Jan 2015

I'm honestly somewhat undecided. If done properly I know that plywood builds can be pretty awesome (and cheaper) than glass, but the security of buying new (warranty etc) is making me lean more towards going the glass route.

However, the problem I'm finding is that most manufacturers that have 8 x 2.5 x 2.5 tanks listed for sale have 12mm glass which is just not thick enough according to what people on here have said (and any glass thickness calculators I've used).

There's also the weight. An 8ft glass tank will be over 300kg dry won't be easy to move or transport (but plywood builds are notorious for leaking if relocated).

I'm almost tempted to go all acrylic, but then there's what I've read that if not cell-cast they leech carcinogens into the water over time (not to mention the $$$), but would be a lot easier to move, and a lot less prone to damage. Maybe DIY acrylic would be an option...

tl;dr: Totally undecided, someone help lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Now with timelapse silliness 28 Jan 2015

My temptation would be to build the plywood, for cost and weight reasons. I guess you are imagining that you will have to relocate once you graduate and so are worried about it leaking in a move? That could be a concern, but perhaps you could rebuild anew? How handy are you and the Mr.? Really depends on how long you will be in your current situation I guess.

I am tempted away from Acrylic also because they seem to scratch easily in addition to what you mentioned.

My dad had a 200 gallon plywood build that he made in his basement for 20 years that I don't think ever leaked. He had it lined with pool liner though and it was ugly as sin, with no glass. :lol: I have seen some pretty nice ones though, from members of this forum too, I think. There would receive loads of help (read: advice), to be sure.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

I've actually graduated lol (first class honours, woo) and am aiming to start a PhD next year. But yeah, relocating is something that may well be on the cards for next year depending where/if I can get a PhD. Moving all the fish will be fun if I end up getting a PhD interstate :whistle:

Mr. Lamm has been wanting to build a plywood tank for ages lol and is more than up to the task... Hmm, honestly my main reasons against plywood are along the lines of 'what if it leaks' 'I'm paranoid' and 'what if it leaks'.

Once Ganbie puts on a few more inches I'll start seriously looking into the various options.

Haitiensis are super cool by the way. I'd love to own one myself but I'm a bit wary of the fact that they seem to be very prone to bloat when young.

For some reason I thought you were already in a PhD program. Good luck with that.

I really think you should build the plywood one! Sounds like Mr. Lamm wants to do it. I was initially paranoid that my 125 was going to leak, but I got over that. I am sure it will work!!

(plus I want to see how it goes, so that I can learn from your mistakes! :whistle:

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Now with timelapse silliness 28 Jan 2015

Poseidon2.0 wrote: For some reason I thought you were already in a PhD program. Good luck with that.

It's easy to think that, isn't it? But stuffs is also being published with her name, so.... ;)

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

This time with sound! I usually remove the sound from the videos because of the birds incessantly squeaking like broken dog toys, but today I... couldn't be bothered, so enjoy Australian accents, Mr. Lamm sniffling because he has hayfever and birds squeaking.

This came about because the water temp was fluctuating like mad from the tap so Mr. Lamm stuck his hand in the tank and squealed like a little girl when Ganbie approached him with much hunger. I called him a coward; he told me to prove my bravery so I did. He brushed up against my hand twice just prior to Mr. Lamm grabbing the camera :woohoo:

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Now with timelapse silliness 28 Jan 2015

That is just adorable! He's like some kind of puppyfish! :D

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lammergeier

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Umbee - Pat the Umbee (New Videos!) 4 Feb 2015

He looks like he has grown quite a bit, nice job Lamm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lammergeier

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds