New Videos! Pat the Umbee Edition 4 Feb 2015

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Pics!

Looks great must love that tank
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lammergeier

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Pics!

He'd better be after all the drama we went through to get him in there lol.

The biggest pro of having such a small (for now) fish in such a large tank is that tank maintenance is just an absolute breeze at the moment. Doing one 50% change a week at the moment, but that's really just to replace any lost minerals in the water and to make sure that the tank water parameters (pH etc) don't deviate too much from tap water. Been monitoring water parameters carefully but he's just too small to create much in the way of nitrates at the moment. There's a trace reading but that's about it.

He uses all the tank space though, which surprised me a bit. He's always on the move - really hyperactive little guy. Everything he does is always preceded by him pretty much sprinting from one end of the tank to the other. He stalks his pellets too which is kinda funny. He'll hide behind the driftwood, then dart up, grab a pellet then do a lap of the tank before trying for more.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Pics!

Im sure in no time hes gonna be a beast

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Pics!

:D

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Pics!

Cuteness overload in 3... 2... 1...

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Pics!

OMG, that is so cute when he pecks the food from your hand. So funny to see little Umbie in the large tank. Do you think his dorsal will ever grow back?

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Updated with Handfeeding Video!

Will you continue to hand feed? Might loose a finger soon. He seems to enjoy his reflection on the bottom of the tank.Can't wait to see him in 12 months!!

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Updated with Handfeeding Video!

Thanks everyone!

@Poseidon: It probably won't. Considering he's put on at least 2cm (if not more) in length since I got him and there's been no sign of any regrowth so I'm not holding my breath. It would be nice if it did just from a looks perspective, but the amount of blue speckling he's starting to get will more than make up for it ;) It doesn't cause him any discomfort or impede his movement at all which is the important thing.

@ernie: He's swimming through the water current from the hose lol, he does it every w/c. He attacks the siphon tube when I'm poop scooping as well and just gets in the way constantly. It's cute now but he'll be a terror when he gets bigger.

Re: Handfeeding, yeah I'm going to continue to hand feed him. I hand feed all my cichlids :D I do it for a few reasons. The first is that it makes them more interactive with me which I like as I'm a big fan of keeping them as 'wet pets'. It's also necessary for Henry and Adie (oscar and sev). If I didn't handfeed them the SDs would steal everything or they'd fight each other over the food. I also needed to train the RD I used in my behaviour experiment in the lab to stay down one end of the tank (or else I'd have had to corral him in a really small space). Handfeeding helped with that as he associated my hand with food, so if he wandered away I could get him to swim back to the right place just by beckoning him there. Much less stressful for him.

I also think that having them associating my hands with something good makes quite a bit of difference to how they behave when I have to put my hands in their tanks for whatever reason. I'd rather risk an occasional 'is that food?' nip than have them attacking my hand out of fear.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Updated with Handfeeding Video!

Hey Jack, any thoughts re: the sex from those videos?

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Updated with Handfeeding Video!

Very cool Lam.. enjoy that while it lasts. Dare ya to do that in 6 months!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds