New Videos! Pat the Umbee Edition 4 Feb 2015

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Updated with Handfeeding Video!

Dare accepted! Lol, I'll prove it with a video, and then maybe the hospital bill :P

In all seriousness though I'm just blown away by how outgoing that little guy has become, and how much he's grown! Amazing little guy (or girl... Jack, what can I bribe you with to get you in here?).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

I thought people might like to see some new juvie umbee pictures. Ganbie's between 10 and 11cm long now and has gone completely hyperactive so it isn't too easy getting pictures. They all turn out like this:

Anyway, these are from 28/10:

And these are the two out of 30 odd that turned out not-blurry today :laugh:

For those interested in an update, as you can see from the pics he's doing really well. He's in perfect health and has more than doubled in size - I've had him for 2 months on the 9th and he's probably put on ~1.5 inches per month. Not unexpected since he was so small when we got him, but if anything his growth rate has increased this past month more than the first. It's hard to tell from the pics but he's getting bright blue speckles all down his body now.

One thing worth mentioning is that, when compared to Henry, my RDs and Adie, he is (by far) the most confident and outgoing fish I have. He has absolutely no fear of anything. I've read that Umbees can be quite timid when they're juvies but it certainly hasn't been my experience so far. It's interesting to see the difference in how he moves around compared to the others as well. He's a lot more self- assured, like everything he's doing has a purpose behind it. He's really interactive too - follows you around the tank, chases your hand, does hunger dances - a real wet pet, but it's all done at 2x speed. When handfeeding him now, sometimes he goes for food so quickly that you don't even see him properly. You just see a sparkly blur then whatever you were holding has just... gone from your fingers and he's flapping around looking proud of himself.

I think he's going to be an absolute terror when he (or she) gets bigger :evil: if a boy Ganbie's it for me as far as Umbees go (unless I get knocked on the head again and decide to breed him), but if a girl... one day I know I'll end up having to track down a male as well.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

That's a male.....almost sure of it......females really don't get blue, don't get a whole lot of blue in the cheek area (if at all), more of a yellow/green/red, & dorsal fin gets this black tint to it.....do the blue spangles take up the whole body, not just partially....once they get bigger, absolutely no mistaking the sexes:

Shoot me a video, & I will let you know for sure. Hard w/ pics due to light shadows & such. ;)

Photo is not mine & I make no claims to it...simply used for illustrative purposes.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lammergeier

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

He looks great Lamm.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

Lamm he looks awesome and is getting big

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

Thanks everyone!

@Jack: Male, huh? That was my guess too from reading this ( www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=138 ), but I've been looking forward to hearing your thoughts for ages! :D

This pic isn't the best quality (this was w/c day - you can see why lol) but it shows the beginnings of the blue spangles on his side (and in his fins) pretty well. This was taken a couple of weeks ago (28/10). They're more obviously blue now than they were then and extend all the way down to his tail.

Edit: I've got some old videos, but I'll take a new one tomorrow.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Updated with Handfeeding Video!

Lammergeier wrote:

I especially like this photo. Really looks poised and confident here. His colors are really looking nice. Thanks for sharing, I have been waiting for an update!! :lol:

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Credit where credit's due - my partner took the ones of Ganbie today ;) He's much better at taking pics than I am.

Sorry for the lack of updates. It was thesis writing time in October and I was just swamped - should be updating more regularly now all that's over.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Umbee - Updated with Handfeeding Video!

I hope that the writing went well. That can be a stressful time. I plan on buying a new tripod and a shutter release extension and upping my photographic game a little. I think part of my problem is that when the fish zoom around fast I also move the camera along with them -- the double movement makes for some crazy blurry photos 9 out of ten times!

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Thanks, I hope so too! I've put all my eggs in the 'do well enough to get a PhD' basket. If I don't, I'll have to start this whole career thing from scratch... which will suck because this science stuff is one of the only things I've ever been any good at :laugh:

Anyway, since evidence is pointing towards Ganbie being male - within the next year we'll be looking to get a more permanent tank ready for him. How large do you guys think he can get and still comfortably fit in the 6x2? We were thinking that when he hits ~15" will be around the time we're wanting to move him, but I'm wondering if he may need to be moved sooner due to Umbees being active, open water swimmers for the most part.

Going by that amazingly handy guide Rocksor posted a while back, we'll need at tank that's at least 2.5ft in width for him, and possibly 3ft wide if he ends up exceeding 23" in length. My partner and I were thinking of an 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft (~370 US gal) might be suitable for him for quite a while. We're willing to go bigger if need be, just trying to get an idea. That would be for him alone of course.

We'll have to decide which route we want to go for it as well (glass vs all acrylic vs plywood + acrylic)... I'd love to say 'whichever option is least likely to break the bank' but having an umbee kind of makes it a moot point lol. We know what we're in for :whistle:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds