New Videos! Pat the Umbee Edition 4 Feb 2015

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

Yup...you can't have enough room for Umbees, Jags, Dovii's....true tank busters. :evil:

I would state you would need bare minimum 265GL for a pair....single male bare bones minimum what you have (180GL , correct?)

The only thing I understand about plywood tanks is that once you build them, that's where they will be permanently....you move them, they have tendency to leak.

Acrylic is prohibitively expensive, & I have read articles that they can leach chemicals back into the aquarium. I will try to find that article.

Glass is heavy, but will probably be your best bet for value for your dollar. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lammergeier

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

Lamm all looking good,how fantastic are adult males. Should be an exciting watching him grow.Good luck with your studies

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

Looks good Lam, doing very well. On tank size.. I have my Jag alone in a 6x2x2, he is around 13ins. With a max of prob something in the 16in range, he will be good for life in there. With a 24in potential for a male Um, you should be looking for 8ft and 300gals, or bigger if you can swing it. You should be good for a couple years or more in the 180, I would expect growth to dramatically slow at some point, common of most cichlids. Nice fish!!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

@Jack: Yep, 180GL, but even if that is an accepted minimum I really don't think it'd be enough for a fully grown male Umbee. A 2ft fish couldn't even turn around in a 2ft wide tank.

I was looking up stuff about all-acrylic tanks and was reading some reef forum where a guy was getting an 8ft x something acrylic tank set up in Aus. He was was quoted $20000 lol. Just ridiculous. If we went for an acrylic tank we'd probably be looking to DIY it to save $$.

I like the idea of acrylic tanks only because of the shatter risk with glass when transporting, but if that article is right about acrylic then this option's out even disregarding cost. It'd be good to have a read - I'm hoping it isn't the case or is only applicable when people use some type of treated acrylic instead of cell-cast. I know most public aquariums use acrylic, but I suppose the ratio of water:acrylic would be much higher than in home aquaria which would minimise any harm that could be caused by stuff leaching out.

Glass is probably the best option - I'm thinking 8x2.5x2.5 - 370 US gals, and you can get them new + warranty here for $1200 - $1500 AUD. Not cheap, but not too bad considering 12mm glass and the volume of water it will be holding.

@ernie and Suprd: Thanks! Yeah, I'm sure his growth will slow down, but I'm interested in seeing how big he shoots up to before that happens :D Definitely going to go for at least 8ft and 300 gal, maybe bigger if the next size up from 8x2.5x2.5 isn't much more expensive.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

I would be VERY concerned of an 8ft tank of over 300 gals made with only 12mm glass. Thats only 15/32in. Warranty or not, thats thin glass for such a large volume tank.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

I really enjoyed the photos ... cute little guy. I look forward to seeing more of him as he grows.

BTW - I was thinking 12mm sounds thin for a tank that size also.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

This site has a glass thickness calculator. According to it your 8 footer should have around 15 or 16 mm glass, depending how you round up or down with the conversion (from inches to cm).

www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Sounds thin to me as well, but that's what one night of half-baked searching turned up, eg:

www.majesticaquariums.com.au/aquarium-sales
www.aquariumsrus.com.au/pricep.htm

so on. Seems to be that the 'factory standard' glass thickness (down here) for any tank that isn't more than 2ft high is 10mm. More than 2ft high or wide = 12mm glass, no matter whether it's 6ft or 8ft.

But yeah, calm down guys :P I'm not about to rush out and buy an 8ft tank any time soon. Ganbie's got some growing to do still. When the time comes to upgrade him I'll definitely be taking what you've said into account, don't worry.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Video time!

I was reading a thread on another fish forum of 'monster' size about someone growing out 8 juvie umbees in a 145 gal and complaining about slow growth. The LFS I got Ganbie from tried to convince me to do the same thing because I was after a male, and at 1 - 2 inches the juvies were too small to sex, "Take all 4 and later on decide which one you want best and give the rest back".

I do wonder what that other forum would say about someone growing out one Umbee in a 180 gal, but I think I made the right call ;)

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

No new pics yet, but I'm thoroughly amused I got this little ragamuffin to eat peas tonight. Not that he needs help with pooping or anything.

He looked confused. I'm confused too. My 'vegetarian' SDs are being fussy and not eating peas, but my carnivorous juvenile Umbee does. :blink:

On another note, I'm wondering if I should feed him more than I am. I'm feeding 2x a day, but it's more splitting one meal into two snacks, instead of two full meals. He's growing well but I'm just curious as I've read others with juvenile umbees are feeding 2 - 3 times a day, and more food too.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds