New Videos! Pat the Umbee Edition 4 Feb 2015

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

I think that often people with fish that have a large growth potential tend to be impatient, and try to get them big asap. Not good for the fish imo. My baby Festae and RTM are eating twice a day, and I have my Dovii, around 5ins, down to once a day, and she is now on the skip a day per week sched. All good so far.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

Good to know, thanks Dave! Just wanted to double-check I wasn't being too overzealous in wanting to avoid overfeeding him. How are the baby festae and RTM doing?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

They are doing just fine thx Lam. RTM in a 75 and Festae in 55. RTM very active, Festae very shy and skittish. Not a lot of color showing on either yet, but in time should both be beauties. And my male JD, quite hated by all others, now has his own 90. He is a happy dude now.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

I thought people may like to see a few new Umbee pics. My partner keeps calling him Mr. Sparkle :pinch:

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Umbee - New Pics as of Nov 7

Looking good Lamm. He is getting to be a handsome devil. Growing really fast. Severus has grown all of a 1/4 inch in the 6-8 weeks that I have gotten him.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Umbee - New Pics Dec 4

Looks great lamm what his personality like

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Thanks! He hasn't put on much length in the last couple of weeks (maybe 0.5 - 1cm), but he's started filling out a bit I think. The speckling (though not shown well in the pics there) is actual blue pigmentation now, instead of iridescence in the light.

Severums do grow really slowly, and irregularly too. I've found with Adie that she tends to appear like she's stopped growing for ages, then shoots up seemingly overnight. That hasn't happened for a while now though. Henry's obviously bigger than her now, and the biggest SD has almost caught up lol.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

@Frank: Thanks. He's really interactive like an oscar, but less 'puppy dog' and more 'tiny evil overlord'. He follows people around and can still be handfed, but he's a hell of a lot more sure of his movements than my other fish, I guess. He's always zipping around the full 180 gal tank like he's on some kind of mission and has no fear of anything at all.

No real full on aggression yet towards people, but we had a moth get on the side of his tank the other day and he went completely insane trying to get at it through the glass.

It's hard to explain, but, for example sometimes my RDs attack the siphon when doing w/cs, but they act more aggressive out of fear of the siphon, I guess? Ganbie on the other hand, attacks the siphon with the full intention of destroying it, but there's no fear behind it, just a desire to destroy something I think. You try and shoo him away with your hand and he swims just out of reach, then bites your finger, then 2 seconds later brushes against your hand while moving back to trying to eat the siphon. I have to use a large syringe to get water out if I want to test nitrates because he started treating the test tubes the same way, and he's quicker than I am.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Umbee - New Pics Dec 4

Wow nice. He has grown quite a bit. Looking good.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Umbee - New Pics Dec 4

He's beautiful Lamm!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds