german blue cichlids?

• Oscarina
  • Oscarina's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

Oscarina created the topic: german blue cichlids?

I'm not sure this is the right forum for this, I'm considering getting a pair of german blues but have no luck finding them in a lfs, only on aquabid but they are sold in lots of 4-6 there. My tank has been cleaned and redone after I gave my oscar to a better home. I know the germans are small, maxing at 3 inches, I have some tetras and a few rasboras in the tank now for tank mates. my question is can 4 German blues cohabitate in a 55 long safely?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: gewrman blue cichlids?

it might work, you'll never know you try
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscarina

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: gewrman blue cichlids?

I think you should be fine. Check out Bolivian rams though...the are much more hearty! I'd just hate for you to spend a bunch of money on Germans and they not make it. Even if your parameters are perfect. Not sure what the deal is with them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscarina

• Oscarina
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Oscarina replied the topic: gewrman blue cichlids?

I checked out the Bolivians, they are a bit drab for the flash of color i wanted while the electrics are almost too much (and from what I've read even less hearty!). Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm trying to order a pair of normal blues (6 bucks apiece, not bad) from a lfs but not having much luck, they 'accidentally' sold the pair i had ordered last week, grrr.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: gewrman blue cichlids?

I can understand that, those Germans are gorgeous! Fun to watch as well.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: german blue cichlids?

The key to keeping dwarf cichlids in general is PRISTINE water, extremely efficient mature dedicated biological filtration, & frequent smaller water changes, no more than 10-15% @ a time. Also, most SA dwarfs need soft acidic water, which can make keeping them a challenge, as biological filters are not as efficient in acidic water.

Tank size is awesome for dwarfs, but I have to ask how old your biological filter is & exactly what type(s) of filtration you have?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: purplecandle, UNC-CH, Oscarina

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: gewrman blue cichlids?

purplecandle wrote: I think you should be fine. Check out Bolivian rams though...the are much more hearty! I'd just hate for you to spend a bunch of money on Germans and they not make it. Even if your parameters are perfect. Not sure what the deal is with them.

Yes, I will endorse this Bolivian shout out. I had bad luck with Germans the one time I tried. Very sensitive fish and really need a proper black water set up to thrive. The bolivians are a bit more aggressive, and while you say they are a little drab, they certainly have great personality.

ETA: Darth has, as usual, great advice for general care of these dwarf fish.

• Oscarina
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Oscarina replied the topic: german blue cichlids?

thanks, I'm using the same setup i had for the oscar so about 8 months, a 50 fluval and 30 whisper. i currently have 4 black skirts, 5 red minors, 4 assorted corydoras and 4 glowlights plus two unknown tetras that were in the bag with the black skirts (was too hard to get them out and the pet store sold them at the cost of the blackskirts. i think one is a xray). I'm thinking the Bolivian may be the way to go if its easier to care for in the water* Type I have..
I'm currently waiting on a new api kit to arrive. the other one i had seemed to give weird readings that varied as much as saying in a five minute period my water went from 10 ammonia to 50 to 0 again.
I am however doing a 20% water change once a week so far with just the tetras and corycats. question though... is this a gold ram? everything im looking up says it is but its one of the two 'unknowns' in the tetra bag.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: german blue cichlids?

hi the size is perfect for a planted dwarf cichlid tank ~ i have a pair in a 20 long ~ change 15% every 3 days ... if you have a set water change schedule and a healthy diet ... it'll all work out. seems like you have a gold ram in the last picture? or am i seeing things
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: german blue cichlids?

Dark Lord, Tehmole, I like the idea of a planted dward cychlid tank. Can you tell me if my water might work for such a tank. My tap is very soft but with chloramines ... pH is 8.6. I use API proper pH 7.0 on all my non-planted tanks. Would api proper pH 6.5 work for sensitive fish like the german ram or would I need to use another method to bring down the pH?

I'd really like to see a picture of your planted dwarf cychlid 20 gal, tehmole.

I'll move this to another thread if need be.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds