german blue cichlids?

• Oscarina
  • Oscarina's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

Oscarina replied the topic: german blue cichlids?

Tehmole,
that's what confused me, the guy at the lfs said they were probably xrays (nearly clear/white when they came home) because they were in the tank with the long fin black skirts. when they accidentally got caught in the net i told him to just ad them since it was hard for the guy to handle the fish.(seriously, he dropped one poor cory eight friggin times and a black skirt three times on the floor) I didn't trust his judgement but the woman over the fish department seems to be knowledgeable and I assumed she wouldn't have put cichlids with the tetras in the shop. they had a tank with gold rams at the other end of the row.
the largest plants in the tank are plastic, my live ones are not doing so well. lighting is not right for them I'm guessing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: german blue cichlids?

The tank looks great with the plastic plants. Nice job on that. I've been reading up on dwarf cychlids ... I've become interested in setting up a 20 or 30 gal planted dwarf cychlid tank since reading your thread. It's my understanding that they need a planted tank. I don't believe that the plastic plants you have will cause problems. What kind of lighting do you have?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscarina

• Oscarina
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Oscarina replied the topic: german blue cichlids?

on one side is standard florescent and the other side has a glass lid with a LED string from a smaller tank lid attached with aquarium silicone. the lid they originally were on was too small for this tank. my anubis (i think) seem to be doing well but my amazon sword is rather worn looking and may die soon. I have a broad leafed something or other im not sure on that a friend gave me that seems to be okay too although i just killed a tiny brown snail that was on one of the leaves. dangit. and to top it off I just noticed white spots on the one i think is a gold ram and its buddy thats still whitish but is the same body shape. great, Ich.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: german blue cichlids?

UNC-CH wrote: Dark Lord, Tehmole, I like the idea of a planted dward cychlid tank. Can you tell me if my water might work for such a tank. My tap is very soft but with chloramines ... pH is 8.6. I use API proper pH 7.0 on all my non-planted tanks. Would api proper pH 6.5 work for sensitive fish like the german ram or would I need to use another method to bring down the pH?

I'd really like to see a picture of your planted dwarf cychlid 20 gal, tehmole.

I'll move this to another thread if need be.

Easiest & most effective way to make blackwater is to simply get an old HOB like a Whisper & use Fluval peat pellets in the cartridges. PH altering chemicals can be harsh & are easily over-dosed. I use this set-up on my Oscar tank, water does stain a bit but any fish that appreciates "blackwater" will look & do it's best in this set-up.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:german blue cichlids?

Reading this thread and your other one and having kept blue rams and other blackwater species i urge you to reconsider and go with the Bolivians. Your tank is severely underfiltered and you seem quite new to this, the blue rams are very sensitive fish that require a very specific water chemistry to flourish and honestly you need to learn to walk before you can run.

Id recommend you get the Bolivians and we will help you get your tank squared away and have a better understanding of properly running a tank then when your ready we can assist you in getting a tank suitable for blue rams ready and how to prep their water

Also from my experience keeping them Bolivians are awesome fish that may have more personality than oscars, they will follow you around and if you get a group of 4 they will each setup little territories and will spend all day patrolling and bickering with each other its quite amusing

• Oscarina
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Oscarina replied the topic: Re:german blue cichlids?

i'm going to get bolivians. if i can even find them.

No german blue, gold, and electric blue are color morphs through line breeding of blue rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi), bolivian rams are another species of the same genius.

Blue rams are found in the warm clear low ph waters of the flooded savannahs of Venezuela and Colombia in the Orinoco River basin.

The Bolivian ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) is found in the median pH waters of the Amazon River basin in Brazil and Bolivia, they grow larger than blue rams and are much hardier
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscarina

Oscarina wrote: i'm going to get bolivians. if i can even find them.

Most good lfs (not petsmart..co) should be able to order them in, defiantly get 4 and a nice school of tetras and you will be very happy

On another point i recommend getting a large HOB filter to go on your tank, an emperor 400 or an aquaclear 110 should be sufficient filtration for that stocking
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re:german blue cichlids?

Big-Ken wrote: No german blue, gold, and electric blue are color morphs through line breeding of blue rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi), bolivian rams are another species of the same genius.

Blue rams are found in the warm clear low ph waters of the flooded savannahs of Venezuela and Colombia in the Orinoco River basin.

The Bolivian ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) is found in the median pH waters of the Amazon River basin in Brazil and Bolivia, they grow larger than blue rams and are much hardier

This is why I defer to all things dwarf cichlids to BK. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big-Ken

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds