german blue cichlids?

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: german blue cichlids?

This thread is awesome! So much info!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Oscarina
  • Oscarina's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

Oscarina replied the topic: Re:german blue cichlids?

i have a fluval 50 with multistage filter hang on back combined with the 30 in tank, is that large enough? (combined of 80 on a 50gallon?) and apparently i have two gold ram babies that somehow snuck into the tetras so im probably only going to get two bolivians, i don't believe 6 rams will work well in a 55?

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:german blue cichlids?

Rams are a great fish. One of my favourites. They are very sensitive though as said. Having matured many tanks in my years of keeping, I find it takes 6 months or so to get a tank to an established point I'm happy with. Darth and Ken have gave some great advice on these awesome little guys. More than just oscar on this site, it's the right forum for any fish

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: german blue cichlids?

I would keep what you have, don't clean any filter that you currently are using (as it will be biologically active), get any of the filters Big Ken advises, & I would also get a powerful air pump & a sponge filter....this will provide additional mechanical filtration, & once it cycles, a very efficient biological filter as well. I have one in ever tank I own...& in addition, if you ever lose power, you will have uninterrupted biological filtration ( does require a battery operated air pump).

One HOB filter I do highly recommend is the Fluval C4....has a built-in trickle filter, & the carbon chamber can be filled to capacity w/ polyester filter fiber (just FYI.....carbon is unnecessary). I also have several of these & they are a tremendous HOB, providing both unparalleled biological & superior mechanical filtration in an inexpensive HOB. (SRP is around $54.99 on Amazon.com)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:german blue cichlids?

Ya you need more filtration, forget what the box says internal filters are junk for anything larger than a 10g. You need about 4-500 gallons per hour of filtration, either one of those filters i recommended earlier do 400 gph you can also go with the fluval c4 or Aqueon quiet flow 55/75 that also does 400 gph but you need to replace the carbon inserts with sponges in those. Run the new filter along with your current ones for 2 months then remove the internal one and set it aside for use in a 10g qt/hospital tank. Do not remove or change out you current filter cartridges dont even clean them we want them nice and dirty to seed the new filter your going to get.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscarina

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: german blue cichlids?

If I set-up a tank with bolivian rams ...

How many rams would be appropriate for a 20 long? What about a 30 gal?

To what extent does the tank need to be planted, if necessary? I've learned from my one planted tank that the substrate is near impossible to vac (no room to move). I have a betta in that tank ... I suppose the rams would produce a lot more waste.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: german blue cichlids?

BTW - I could set-up a 40 gal or 55 gal if need be. I like the idea of having 4 bolivian rams but 2 or 3 will do.

• Oscarina
  • Oscarina's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

Oscarina replied the topic: german blue cichlids?

thanks, but i'll have to wait on the extra filter and the bolivians, the tetras are fine with the filters they have. my dog got sick yesterday and after vet bills there is no funds for a new filter.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: german blue cichlids?

sorry for the late response - here's a shot of the tank.....

it's a mess in there ~ but i ike the messy look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:german blue cichlids?

With dwarf cichlids its all about footprint so i would stock as follows

30" long tank - 2
36" long tank - 3
48" long tank - 4

The tank does not need to be planted but provide alot of structure for them to explore and to break up sight lines for territories. These fish will not fight to the death but they will bicker and flare at each other alot, they will set up very defined territories and will actively patrol it so make sure when you feed you spread the food around. Also they prefer sand substrate, while they are not truly geophagus they do like to forage in the sand and move it around
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds