Need help identifying new Severum

• darkhorse419
  • darkhorse419's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

darkhorse419 created the topic: Need help identifying new Severum

So I went to my favorite LFS to get some food and other items I needed, and noticed they had some new fish in. As I am walking the aisle, I find some Ranbow Cichlids - which I have been looking for forever!!! ( :happy: ) In the tank right next to it were some severums with some markings that have me interested. He was labeled as a "Red Spotted Severum" which USUALLY this LFS is very good at labeling. I did a quick google search while they were getting ready to net my Rainbow Cichlid - and am getting mixed responses... SO - I know there are a lot of VERY knowledgeable people on here - and rather than put up here what exactly I think he/she is, I want to see your opinions!! Hope these post right:, sorry about quality - new in tank and wont stop moving!!!

[img][URL=http://s162.photobucket.com/user/Ronald_Willhauck/media/20170128_155846_zps5b9x4nza.jpg.html][IMG]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t245/Ronald_Willhauck/20170128_155846_zps5b9x4nza.jpg[/URL]

[/img] s162.photobucket.com/user/Ronald_Willhauck/media/20170128_155719_zps6xcbeixn.jpg.html ] [/URL][/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Need help identifying new Severum

Looks more like a green severum to me.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Need help identifying new Severum

Def not a Red Spot. Its likely a Rotkeil, possibly a green. Rotkeil is also commonly called red shoulder, vertical bars are more pronounced than on a green. Green has more defined spots.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• darkhorse419
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

darkhorse419 replied the topic: Need help identifying new Severum

I can't believe it to be a green severum - like I said, usually this is the store to go to when you need help identifying or looking for hard to find fish. No big box store, has been around forever it seems - which is why I am stumped. Looking at pics of various juvenile severums, they all very so differently (Almost like Oscars do!!) that I am thinking it may just be a wait and see what he/she becomes!! Reading a lot online, I have read a lot of people saying that Rokteils have 8 stripes, making them easier to spot - anyone heard of that?? I must say - I was hoping he is a Rokteil, but honestly thought he might be the Red Spotted Turquoise (Which I like also, just not as much as Rokteil) because that is all I could find except the gold variant, definitely not gold or red, lol - why I bought him, Rokteils go quick around here and didn't want to miss another opportunity!! Let me know if new pics help you see anything, anal fin is starting to turn a little yellow/orange in right light - tried to catch it in the flash pic.

Here are more recent pics, really a lot of fun to watch!!
Rainbow and EBA bombing!! LOL

Flash brought out every vertical stripe on him/her!!

• darkhorse419
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

darkhorse419 replied the topic: Need help identifying new Severum

Just thought I would post a little update on how the little guy is doing. I can't believe how fast he's growing, and how much he/she has changed... Around 2.25" right now - and found 2 REAL Rotkeils from a VERY reliable source. Paid a little more than I wanted, but I tend to do that... Anyways, here is my new Severum, which is a F1 Rokteil, parents were wild caught and then my first Severum (went back and talked to them and he is a Red Spotted Green they said - some kind of cross, but don't care - he's fun!! -the other Rokteil is hiding in Anacharis and can't get a clean shot - but other one is much more colorful than this one after 2 days in tank!! Sorry for poor photography, they won't stop moving!!

http://
[/img]

And btw, before anyone notices the Bumblebee Goby in there - his new spot is cycling right now, should be ready soon - he is one of my favorite fish!!

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:Need help identifying new Severum

I have a small rotkeil too. Your pictures don't help much to confirm or not if your fish is a RT

"Tapatalking"

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds