Opinions on Salvini?

• metoo
  • metoo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

metoo created the topic: Opinions on Salvini?

Since I'm getting a new tank soon and going to separate my cichlids, I'll probably end up with a single Green Terror in one tank. He isn't mean but getting more and more territorial, and I just doubt any of the other 3 (Oscar, Nic, Firemouth) could hold their own against him once it got serious (well, the firemouth found out already).

So I was thinking about a smaller but tough fish I could put in with the green terror. Maybe a convict would work, but I've always loved the looks of Salvini, so was wondering if there's a chance that could work? I read they can be very aggressive when breeding but would they be the same if kept as single fish? I know there are differences in personality anyway for individual cichlids of one species but a very rough guess would be welcome, just like whatever experiences people might have with salvini.

If I were a guy, I\'d have probably needed only 30% of the amount of words to say this

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:Opinions on Salvini?

Never kept these two fish myself, but do tell us how you get on if you do attempt it.

I think it is really trial and error. They might live in harmony, on the other hand, the maybe carnage in the tank

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• metoo
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

metoo replied the topic: Re:Opinions on Salvini?

So seems no one's keeping these.

Thank you Penn, I'll probably try to get one once the new tank is set up and will tell how it goes then. Just hope they have any at the LFS so it won't be again like I go to get a certain fish and come back with something completely different, lol. I gave my firemouth to a friend the other day to live with its former tankmate (other firemouth, probably sibling) in a tank of the size my current one is, hoping it has a higher chance there not to be picked on that much resp. being able to hold its own. It had healed quite well already. I gotta call later and ask how it goes. If it works, there is one less worry in case I add a salvini, and more possibilites to swap fish between tanks later in case of trouble.

If I were a guy, I\'d have probably needed only 30% of the amount of words to say this

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Opinions on Salvini?

I have 2 small salvini about 2 inches but they are not aggressive, I also used to have one that got to about 5 inches and it lived with an oscar fine- no bother. Green terrors can be really aggressive. Some are worse than others. If you have a bad one then he will batter most fish except the ones that will batter it

I would suggest leaving the terror in with your fish as see what happens. If he starts nipping the others or making their lives a misery (chasing all the time, or the other fish hiding all the time) then either get rid of him or house it on its own

I can't get no sleep

• metoo
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Oh thank you Delboy, that helped!

Thinking I could try a salvini then even. Meant it to go in with the green terror though because I definitely have to separate that one from the firemouth soon ... well did already but got a different firemouth in the tank now. I wouldn't call him mean at all (yet) but he's neither the kind that would back off ever when being challenged. Also there is trouble ahead soon with the terror and the Nic - with the Nic being way bigger still, they're even now but both keep trying to impress each other. (I keep reading how Nic's are hardly aggressive, that isn't true for mine really.) And can't know how things will be about the Oscar and terror in a year or two, so I better be safe.

Well if I manage to find a salvini and it can't cope with the terror, I can still try to arrange the fish in the two tanks in a way that hopefully would work.

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Opinions on Salvini?

The reason i had no bother with the salvini that was with my oscar was because they were both non aggressive to each other. If your terror gives your oscar grief then he will certainly give your salvini grief too. Only buy the salvini if you can house all your fish with your terror on its own

I can't get no sleep

• Verse34K
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:Opinions on Salvini?

Salvinis are somewhat passive but get severly aggressive during spawning. Also very suspectable to HITH. I would not keep one with a GT, though i have seen it been done before. Each fish is differenct, you just have to find which ones won't kill each other.

Just my $0.02

• metoo
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Oh anybody's 2ct very much appreciated. I sure don't want a fish that can't hold its own in case it's being harrassed, would be defeating the purpose. I thought they were way tougher than Oscars but seems it's only when breeding.
So I'll probably just forget about it, and if at all, I'd rather try a convict or so. Might be easier to combine plus there are enough around that need a new home anyway.

Thanks all!

• Verse34K
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:Opinions on Salvini?

I don't think an adult would be harassed by oscars...juveniles yes, but adults no. Although some are passive, others can be highly aggressive and will bully the oscars...a breeding pair of convicts would visioucly attack a larger oscar while a non-breeding pair wouldn't bother. All fish have different personalities and if differs between fish(I've seen very passive salvinis but I've also seen some very aggressive ones) Check out www.cichlid-forum.com for information on the various cichlid species and www.amazonfish.info for those stricly from the amazon.(but it seems like you want to do CA's)

BTW, i hope this post isn't condradictory to may last:laugh:

• metoo
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Oh don't worry about creating contradicting posts, I can manage to be contradictory in one sentence at times ;)

Nah, doesn't have to be CA's for me, I was only trying to think of any New World cichlid I like being smaller than Green Terrors and possibly tough and fast enough to cope with a Green Terror in case he gets say mildly territorial ... means a fish that would not be miserable already with some occasional chasing and would fit into hiding places where the GT can't get (but still would be seen occasionally of course). Everything more extreme than that would mean separation anyway. Oh and would have to be compatible with a rather high ph of about 7.8 (guess that speaks for CA's, or SA's that can do with a wide range). No way would I do a pair of convicts, lol, heard stories about those ;) And I neither want to breed anything. I just know that firemouths are apparently not suiting for me in that matter - quite a big mouth, but will lose then against a Nic already here.

Thanks for the links! Think I'll try to get my new tank here and set up finally and then go and see what's available at all first (convicts are available for free from private most of the time). And then I'll do some reading again as well as bothering the OFL members about it ;) It's tricky anyway .. I once added a fish to my Oscar tank and he'd go completely mad, and some time later I tried adding it again along with a bunch of others because my other tank gave up, and he'd be completely fine with it, go figure lol.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds