Opinions on Salvini?

• Verse34K
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:Opinions on Salvini?

Maybe a jack or a texas? Jacks can be aggressive though.

Cheers,
Art

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• metoo
  • metoo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

metoo replied the topic: Re:Opinions on Salvini?

Hahaha .. those I like too, it's somehow the more fish species we talk about, the more I want! Think those two get too big though for the purpose, I'm afraid for the tanks to be overstocked again.
Anyway, I went to the shop yesterday to check what is available currently, and they had I dunno how many tanks with African cichlids and only one with American ones, all tiny babies. Spent half an hour over some books with the boss of the shop since only half of the species were labelled, and think we figured most out. The guy that knows better had off already.
They had young goldsaum, jack dempsey, firemouths, keyholes, salvini, blue acaras, albino convicts, one t-bar and some west african dwarf cichlids in there. Oh and some kind of geophagus with totally nipped fins, looking quite miserable. I watched them for a while, and the bad boys in there were the jack's, followed by the bigger salvini.
Well what can I say, I went home with a bag for some reason :blush: Took one salvini and one pink convict and agreed with the shop owner I could take back whatever doesn't work. I also took the geo cause I felt so sorry for it and figured it might have a better chance for survival with many hiding places and finally some sand to sift through. Will see if I can get it through and back into shape and then find a home for it. No idea which species it is, maybe steindachneri ... it's drab looking and so ugly it is cute.

When I let the babies out of the bag, I threw some pellets in to distract the others, and while the salvini and geo went into hiding instantly, the convict went to the surface instantly and got himself the biggest pellet it could find. It's now strolling happily through the tank, and I'm afraid it might get inhaled by the others accidentally since it's not much bigger than the Oscar's eye :blink: It's fast though and has no problem dealing with an aggravated Nic, which is the only one that seems to care at all. So my bets are on the convict to be the most suiting tankmate for the green terror out of those.

If I were a guy, I\'d have probably needed only 30% of the amount of words to say this

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Opinions on Salvini?

metoo wrote:

the convict went to the surface instantly and got himself the biggest pellet it could find. It's now strolling happily through the tank, and I'm afraid it might get inhaled by the others accidentally since it's not much bigger than the Oscar's eye :blink: It's fast though and has no problem dealing with an aggravated Nic, which is the only one that seems to care at all. So my bets are on the convict to be the most suiting tankmate for the green terror out of those.

As long as it doesnt get eaten before it has a chance to grow up

I can't get no sleep

• metoo
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Yep, I'm aware I might have brought some expensive snacks home. Just quite sure all hell would break loose if i tried to add anything semi-adult or adult to the setup.
So far they're all alive still, have eaten and seem to be smart enough to magically disappear when facing the front end of any of the big boys. The salvini looks somewhat unhappy though, I'll try some more hiding spots and else I maybe take that one out again.

If I were a guy, I\'d have probably needed only 30% of the amount of words to say this

Margaret150 replied the topic: Re:Opinions on Salvini?

Salvini ~ what a wonderful fish. I was fortunate enough to purchase these (4 of them) at a petco for about $2 each
about 2 years ago. They are so hardy, big and beautiful now. I just lost one last week tho (sucked to my filter) but I think it was the one that was sick for awhile a couple of months ago. They tend to do alot of lip locking at times but all in all they are one of my best and longest kept fish that I have had. I have them in with my oscar, dempsy, firemouth, convict and psst! a red devil and everyone is getting along fine. I have a very happy tank. Everyone has thier days, even fish but all in all my luck has been good.
I really treasure the Salvinis I have because I "never" see them in any of the aquariums that I go to "ever" ?
It could be that most if not all my fish were brought into the tank at a similar size so no one was threatened by the other. Or again, its just luck.

• metoo
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

That's cool Margaret :) Do you have pairs or all 4 of the same sex? I didn't dare to get more than one (besides being at the very limit anyway) because I keep reading they are very aggressive when breeding. How big are yours? The info I found said mostly they max out at 6" for the males, but a few websites say they can grow bigger :unsure:

Well will see, I hope. That baby I got is only like 2" yet. It was hiding beside the filter mostly for some days, but meanwhile it's very well acclimatized and occasionally picking on the baby convict already.
Love their shape and potential colouration :)

Hope you keep being lucky with your setup! And I won't tell anyone about the Red Devil :lol:

Margaret150 replied the topic: Re:Opinions on Salvini?

meetoo ~ I don't know if they are all the same sex or not but they look exactly alike tho in coloration. They always hang out together and like I said they do thier lip locking now and then. They are currently about 4 - 4.5".
I did see them in New York City in a restaurants aquarium and I would say they were about 6". And, that's the only other place I have ever seen them. Its funny you said your fish is hiding by the filter because I currently have a whisper filter and they like hanging out under the return mostly. I had put 4 clay flower pots in my tank for a short time and when I turn the light on in the morning it looked like a parking garage. Between them and the dempseys everyone had a pot, lol.

If I ever learn to post a picture I will share a photo of them.

Take care.

• metoo
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Margaret150 wrote:

I had put 4 clay flower pots in my tank for a short time and when I turn the light on in the morning it looked like a parking garage. Between them and the dempseys everyone had a pot, lol.

LMAO! God I wish I could have seen that, that cracks me up now, parked fish! :lol:

And I'd love a picture. Even thinking I haven't seen any adult salvini "in the flesh" at all yet other than on pics, only babies. Seeing young ones at the pet shop here very regularly though, there must be someone breeding them.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds