Most Aggressive Cichlid?

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re:Most Aggressive Cichlid?

necromancer4 wrote:

in my still looking for list

Nandopsis haitiensis: common name: black nasty, haitien cichlid, or odo........

Oh, Okay. Just wanted to make sure you still liked those Black Nastys. ;) :laugh: Those look like cool fish, kind of like a longer finned RD. Can't wait til you get one and post pics. :cheer:

mylutino wrote:

@cebo, RD's are very persistent. I have noticed when I put my RD in the large tank, he was mean for no reason at all. He was very persistent, and it seemed like even if they stayed in their corner, if they looked at him wrong or even moved in a way the RD didnt like, he would haul ass over there and start fighting again. This is one of the toughest fish ever. I haven noticed the exact same personality in my RD, he has torn tank dividers down and has tormented other fish non stop!
My jack also looks like he has baby k9's hanging off his lips as well as the ones I am sure he has in the back of his mouth.

Yup mylutino, That exactly what I am talking about with the RDs. Other large aggressive cichlids tend to show aggression towards others in spurts or atleast something seems to trigger it. But with the RD, they can get in a mood where they don't stop continiously going at the fish until it leads to death.

For example, my RD is living with my JD thats twice the size and the JD is dominant over the RD; the RD runs from the JD anytime the JD decides to chase the RD (RD has a retreating place the JD can't get to. But the diference is that the JD won't constantly chase the RD, only in short occasional spurts. So the RD is able to swim freely most of the time until the JD decides to "let his presence felt".

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9

KJAK replied the topic: Re:Most Aggressive Cichlid?

GT - he killed all the tankmates, most of em were twice the size
jaguar - my jag pair dominates 400+ gal pond
convicts - very mean when they are breeding BTW they always are
jewel - beats my texas which is twice the size
texas - always wanna fight

PS : my biggest O has encountered with all of em but the female jag and the GT(i had him a long time ago), and he did beat em all, yeah they are smaller than the O but still that impressive for an O, right ?

• mylutino
  • mylutino's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My reality check bounced!
  • Thank you received: 1

mylutino replied the topic: Re:Most Aggressive Cichlid?

@cebo, yes I witnessed first hand that way a RD can kill a fish without even fighting to the death. I had my Rd in the "community tank" ( right, cichlid community, LOL) and my Oscars are the biggest fish in there, as usual, and my RD is smaller than them. My JD is smaller than the RD, and of course my GT is just itty bitty, cause she lays eggs and all.

I saw how he pestered the Os into the right corner of the tank, relentlessly, and without cause. He kept them at the top, not even at the bottom so that they could rest. The were always at the top, couldnt swim about and were pestered non stop. I saw that they were trying to stand up for themselves by facing off, and I thought that I would give them a chance to prove themselves, but it ended up stressing the Lutino so badly he got swim bladder and was permanently at the top of the water. He was buoyant!! He then wouldnt eat anymore. My tiger was banged up from running constantly. The only fish that seemed to still attempt to swim around were the JD and the GT. Even though smaller, the JD tried to square off a few times. But they would just jet away from him and swim freely until his next batch of psycho was released.

He must have looked at the Os as more of a threat than the little fish, cause they would get chased but still had the op to swim a lil but. But he was dead set on Oscar attack mode. They could NOT leave the spot.

I obviously moved him from the tank to his own, and now he acts depressed. Gets spooked and will come to eat, but will spook himself and take of and hide under the driftwood or PVC in his little holes he has dug. I think he needs target fish to be happy...

Now my tank is more serene...still fighting but nothing that serious.

But check out these fish! These oscar fish are bad ass and were fighting similar sized Rds. WOW, talk about a severe personality problem in these Os. I know most Os vary in aggression, but DAMN!!!! This may be a genetic defect, LOL

@kjak, yep, not often u see an O fight aggressive fish, pretty tough if u ask me!

• STAFFIE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Pink floyd + fish = Bliss
  • Thank you received: 40

STAFFIE replied the topic: Re:Most Aggressive Cichlid?

hmm that last vid ...is it me or is that "crazy oscar" an odd shape..?

wow those Os are damn aggressive. just hope they are still alive and kicking
my biggest O gets ferocious time to time and beat the hell out of his tankmates. sometimes my texas nudges his tail, but when he turns back texas is no where to be found.
but today he is sulking, so m bit worried. he ate alright and i did a water change too, even though parameters were k. hope he will be active as usual by tomorrow

@mylutino, yeah, that story sounds about right. :dry: :) How is your Oscar doing now, since you moved the RD out of the tank?

Those 2 Oscars in those vids looked like they put up a pretty good fight. Looks stressful though. Its funny how a pair or group of fish can get along, and then the same types of fish can be in a group that all fight like hell.

• mylutino
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

@cebo, yea probably stressful for them, maybe thats y they are so mean, too much going on and they have no choice. My O is fine, I quarantined him for around 4 days and treated him, he was fine within 36 hours, was able to go below water level. I think the combo of being alone plus treatment gave him a speedy recovery. He is back in his own tank, and him and tiger go back and forth but its usual Oscar shuffle, no biggie. Everyone seems to get along for now. That RD sure is still hiding out, I really think I need to put something in there with him... Not normal for him at all..

@staffie, odd shape how? I thought something was a little off about him, but wasnt sure what.

@kjak, hope your boy is doing alright!

@mylutino, since you are worried about the RD being lonely. This is what you can do. Go get 5 speedy dither fish. Put in some feeders just before you put the dithers in. If the dithers can get their bairings, they will not be cought by the RD and you will have an active fish.

I used a fish called "yellow fin tinfoil barb" for my dither. they are fast and not many fish can catch them when they have a decent size school.

@mylutino, yeah those oscars are being aggressive since they dont have a choice, being housed in a small tank with a killing machine
yeah i guess my O is ok now, he was right at the front begging for food a couple of hours ago.

• mylutino
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

I was curious about tinfoils, but wont a school of them outgrow my tank with an RD in it too?? I think they get pretty big, and are better suited for a larger tank. Would silver dollars be a better bet? Giant danios??

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds