algae eaters

• MetalHead88
  • MetalHead88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 created the topic: algae eaters

i noticed in the stores they say algae eaters grow up to 6-10 inches. ive never seen them any bigger then 2 inches or so. i had 3 of them awhile ago for about a year and they barley grew at all. do they really get that big?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Parachromis...accept no substitute
  • Thank you received: 78

Necromancer4 replied the topic: Re:algae eaters

i believe it would depend on which type of algea eater you bought. i have 2 chinese algea eaters and they are both about 4" long now. they're supposed to grow to 10"

Warning..I will offend you at some point!!!

my goal is simple a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Parachromis...accept no substitute
  • Thank you received: 78

Necromancer4 replied the topic: Re:algae eaters

i believe it would depend on which type of algea eater you bought. i have 2 chinese algea eaters and they are both about 4" long now. they're supposed to grow to 10"

Warning..I will offend you at some point!!!

my goal is simple a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all

• Thank you received: 0

Sunks replied the topic: Re:algae eaters

at my lfs they have a common pleco that is about 15".

Hi.

• MetalHead88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Re:algae eaters

yeah im talkin bout the chinese algae eater. and plecos and algae eaters are 2 very different fish. i beleive algae eaters are actually considered loaches.

metoo replied the topic: Re:algae eaters

No real idea about Chinese algae eaters, but I'd try to go for Siamese algae eaters if available, they are said to do a way better job on eating algae. They can be told apart from the Chinese ones by the black line that extends into the caudal fin. The Siamese one I once had (should have been a group though) grew to 6 inches, and had him for 9 years.

If I were a guy, I\'d have probably needed only 30% of the amount of words to say this

• MetalHead88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Re:algae eaters

i think chinese and Siamese are the same (or similar at least) well i guess the idea of keeping algae eaters went to hell. i got 2 the other day, found both of them dead a couple days later. i got them at petco so i was able to get 2 more being that my water sample was good. the next day, what did i find? 2 more dead algae eaters. brought them back with another water sample and got store credit. i first thought it could have been because theres not enough algae because the tank is somewhat new. but a day or two without food shouldnt do it. not a single other fish has died btw. oh well better luck next time

MetalHead88 wrote:

yeah im talkin bout the chinese algae eater. and plecos and algae eaters are 2 very different fish. i beleive algae eaters are actually considered loaches.

Well... you are very incorrect algae eater is a generic term. A category consisting of any fish thats main food source is algae. The common plecostomus being the most common one of this category purchased.

Also Chinese algae eaters are sometimes called a sucking loach. But they are not a loach. It is more closely related to a catfish.

Hi.

metoo replied the topic: Re:algae eaters

So, now I'm getting confused :laugh: Noticed I added to the confusion myself even, so to tell some apart:

The Chinese algae eater is Gyrinocheilus aymonieri and is a kind of loach of the family Gyrinocheilidae.
The Siamese algae eater is Crossocheilus siamensis and is a cyprinid.
Then there Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus, the Flying Fox, which can be confused with the Siamese algae eater by the looks. And was what I confused with the Chinese algae eater.

Think algae eater in general means what Sunks said, still it's often used for the two a.m. and their relatives that have "algae eater" in their name.

If I were a guy, I\'d have probably needed only 30% of the amount of words to say this

The Chinese algae eater is in no way a loach and is not in the same family as loaches. It is in the same Order as both the loach, catfish, and carp. It is also more closely related to the catfish and carp than it is the loach.

Hi.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds