algae eaters

• Thank you received: 0

metoo replied the topic: Re:algae eaters

Well whatever you call it, lol. Order Cypriniformes, and we call the family "saugschmerlen", where I know no better word to translate "schmerle" than with "loach". It's certainly in a different family than the clown loach or the many other loaches.

If I were a guy, I\'d have probably needed only 30% of the amount of words to say this

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ashley1984 replied the topic: Re:algae eaters

the chinese algae eater is a loach its a sucking loach also known as the chinese algae eater its closely related to the to the carp (Cyprinus carpio) they can get really big and boisterious at times i got one in my tank and he gives my oscar a run for his money.
(Gyrinocheilus aymonieri) thats the latin name have a look on the web this is off wilko

The Chinese algae eater, Gyrinocheilus aymonieri, is sometimes kept in aquaria to control algae. It can range up to 28 cm in length, but aquarium residents tend to be under 10 cm. It has a reputation for becoming increasingly jealous of its territory as it matures, and also can be aggressive to fish, especially slow, flat-bodied fish. In the home aquarium, the algae eater makes a poor tank mate. It is very aggressive and boisterous They often attack other fish and rip off scales, causing infection. It rarely swims to the surface as it likes to be on the bottom of the tank. It is very hardy and can survive in semi-dirty water, plus a wide range of temperatures, 60 - 90F, allowing it to be sometimes kept in unheated aquariums indoors.

Though in the wild they feed exclusively on algae, in the aquarium there is some controversy on the effectiveness of the algae eater. While they are young, they may be effective. But as they grow, they may develop more of a taste for processed foods and consume those instead.

The two other Gyrinocheilus species, the spotted algae eater and the Borneo algae eater, are rarely seen in the aquarium trade.

[Similar fishes
As "algae eater" is a common name for several fishes, gyrinocheilids can be easily often confused with other species. Most notably is the Siamese algae eater, Crossocheilus siamensis, which belongs to family Cyprinidae.

thats good for me ashley

270 ltr 4ft (FLUVAL 405)
6 baby blue acaras , 1 male and 1 female geophagus eartheaters...
2 plecs.

well i had a good look at mt cae last nite and i would say he is at least 20 cm and thats no joke i got pictures on my cam fone and will uploads as soon as pos!!! ofl how do i upload any pics??????? and change my avatar it says its too big and summit bout 80 x 80 <<< wats all that about??????

ash:unsure:

270 ltr 4ft (FLUVAL 405)
2 plecs.

Sunks replied the topic: Re:algae eaters

ashley1984 wrote:

the chinese algae eater is a loach its a sucking loach

It is not a loach. It goes by the slang name "sucking loach". That does not make it a loach. Just because pet shops give something a "fancy" name does not make it that.

Hi.

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Parachromis...accept no substitute
  • Thank you received: 78

Necromancer4 replied the topic: Re:algae eaters

Gyrinocheilus aymonieri is commonly know within the aquatic trade as the "Sucking Loach" or "Chinese Algae Eater". It is not actually a loach at all, but a Cyprinid. The prominent sucking and rasping mouth is used to graze on surfaces within the aquarium. The species is extremely common in shops and sold primarily for it's algae-eating duties. They are bred in countless thousands in SE Asian fish farms for the trade, but in actual fact are not that efficient at algae grazing, particularly when older, nor are they particularly good community fish.

They have a strong tendency to be territorial and harrass other tank-mates. They may also sucker on to broad, flat-sided fish such as Angelfish and cause distress and sometimes actual bodily damage.

The quite attractive juvenile patterning mellows with age which may be one reason for the popularity of the "Golden Sucking Loach" which is a hyper-melanistic version of the same species. While more attractive, sometimes being even bright yellow, these share the same bad behavioral characteristics as their normally-colored cousins.

this is a quote from the loaches online web page

Warning..I will offend you at some point!!!

my goal is simple a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Parachromis...accept no substitute
  • Thank you received: 78

Necromancer4 replied the topic: Re:algae eaters

Gyrinocheilus aymonieri is commonly know within the aquatic trade as the "Sucking Loach" or "Chinese Algae Eater". It is not actually a loach at all, but a Cyprinid. The prominent sucking and rasping mouth is used to graze on surfaces within the aquarium. The species is extremely common in shops and sold primarily for it's algae-eating duties. They are bred in countless thousands in SE Asian fish farms for the trade, but in actual fact are not that efficient at algae grazing, particularly when older, nor are they particularly good community fish.

They have a strong tendency to be territorial and harrass other tank-mates. They may also sucker on to broad, flat-sided fish such as Angelfish and cause distress and sometimes actual bodily damage.

The quite attractive juvenile patterning mellows with age which may be one reason for the popularity of the "Golden Sucking Loach" which is a hyper-melanistic version of the same species. While more attractive, sometimes being even bright yellow, these share the same bad behavioral characteristics as their normally-colored cousins.

this is a quote from the loaches online web page

Warning..I will offend you at some point!!!

my goal is simple a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all

ok sunks you are right mate do apologize:P

270 ltr 4ft (FLUVAL 405)
2 plecs.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds