blue lobster

• ashley1984
  • ashley1984's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

ashley1984 created the topic: blue lobster

hi guys and gals can any1 give me some info on the blue lobster plz as ive got 1 and he is freaky i noticed that he has shed his skin and grew his pincers bk twice as big, he is in my tank with my chinese algae eater and an oscar "doug" 2 plecs and 2 clown loaches and every thing is fine its just that now he has grew his pincers bk i dont trust him 1 bit because if he has a fight with 1 of my clown loaches i will be most upset to find him in half floating on the surface , i might just get rid of him see how things goes,,
so if you know anything about the blue lobster it will be most gratefull

regards
ashley seagrim :P NEARLLY ON PLATINUM BORDER CMON!!!

270 ltr 4ft (FLUVAL 405)
6 baby blue acaras , 1 male and 1 female geophagus eartheaters...
2 plecs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:blue lobster

I have never kept lobster before so can't confess to be an expert. However, in order for lobsters/crabs to grow, they need to shed their outer shell every few weeks. This is a very vulnerable time for them which is why they always hide under rocks or in crevices in the wild, if they don't, they make a very easy meal because they are so soft. It wouldn't take much for an Oscar to cause great harm to your lobster at this time so I would strongly advise you to keep it somewhere else (a pan of boiling water would be my preference :-) ) only joking.

You also have to bear in mind that lobsters are scavengers and have very powerful claws. One of the claws they use for grabbing and holding onto things, the other one is for cutting. Any fish could be seriously injured by the lobster, especially at night. This is another reason why I never recommend keeping this type of creature together with fish. And finally, there is a video somewhere you tube that shows an Oscar killing and eating a blue lobster. Just another reason why it would be a bad idea having one in with your Oscars

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• ashley1984
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

ashley1984 replied the topic: Re:blue lobster

well thanks for the advice ofl(in a pan of boiling water) lol
well it looks like he is gonna have to go he is well freaky my girlfriend hates it! the only thing i can think of is definatly get rid of it!!!! thanks ofl you been a great help

reghards
ash:P

270 ltr 4ft (FLUVAL 405)
2 plecs.

• ashley1984
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

hey i woke up this morning went and done my ritual thing go over and sit at my table with a coffee and gaze into my tank untill i come round when i noticed that the lobsters skin had GONE is it that the lobster ate his shedded skin??????? i heard you gotta leave it in the tank for calcium for the lobster?????? any guesses

ashley

270 ltr 4ft (FLUVAL 405)
2 plecs.

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:blue lobster

Makes sense that the lobster might eat it own skin. Lots of usful stuff in it

I wouldnt advise keeping it with an oscar. An oscar may see it as food or it may nip and injure your oscar!

I can't get no sleep

timskie replied the topic: Re:blue lobster

Is it defo a blue lobster ho big is it?I have 2 red clawed crayfish also known as blue lobster thats why i ask.It will be ok with ur other fish providung you give it something to hide in/under where nothing but it can get into.But o's do sometimes eat them but aslong as its under a rock it should be fine.

• ashley1984
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

yh its not that big, he hides under a rock and seems happy enough, he is called the blue lobster, hes got blue pincers and a redish body but as long as my oscar wont eat it every thing should be fine

270 ltr 4ft (FLUVAL 405)
2 plecs.

• Thank you received: 1

etwee replied the topic: Re:blue lobster

Hey im a crayfish enthusiasist for abuot 6 months now! also breeding them as well.

when they do shed, leave the skin in cos they do eat it for regeneration of calcium for their new shell.

does he have his own home for himself? he definately has a better chance to live if he has a small hole he can stay in

2.5ft 5cm ELN turtle
4ft planted community tank. tetras, guppies, plecos, bristlnenose
7ft oscar tank with tilapia and convict

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds