Banded leporinus fish

• dngray
  • dngray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

dngray created the topic: Banded leporinus fish

Does anyone else have a banded leporinus? Mine does surprisingly well in my tank. The fish grows incredibly fast and is really quick.. I have really come to love this fish. It is always happy to see me when I approach the tank. Very twitchy fish with lots of energy and great eye sight. Under rated freshwater aquarium fish and cichlid/Oscar tank mate for sure. Tough fish too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: banded leporinus fish

Penn aka OFL has one with his 4 oscars in a 300g

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Re: banded leporinus fish

Rocksor wrote: Penn aka OFL has one with his 4 oscars in a 300g

That's what i wanted to say, and he's very fond of it too.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: banded leporinus fish

oscarfishlover.com/oscar-fish-tankmates

Here's his article on the matter.

You amaze me more and more, Nina! :)
I must have read that sometime, but forgot all about it...

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re: banded leporinus fish

I have had one of these fish for nearly 4 years now. I'm not entirely sure how big they get in captivity, mine is probably 11 or 12 inches now. I remember the day I got it from the fish store. The bloody thing shot out of the tank like an exocet missile whilst the guy was trying to get it out for me. Bloody lucky we managed to save it as it ended up behind all the aquariums.

It sounds as if yours has a different personality to mind. Mine is extremely skittish and if you put your hand up to the aquarium it will make him jump and he will some away quickly, he certainly nothing like my Oscars who will come to the front of the tank if you approach them.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• dngray
  • dngray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

dngray replied the topic: Re: banded leporinus fish

OFL wrote: I have had one of these fish for nearly 4 years now. I'm not entirely sure how big they get in captivity, mine is probably 11 or 12 inches now. I remember the day I got it from the fish store. The bloody thing shot out of the tank like an exocet missile whilst the guy was trying to get it out for me. Bloody lucky we managed to save it as it ended up behind all the aquariums.

It sounds as if yours has a different personality to mind. Mine is extremely skittish and if you put your hand up to the aquarium it will make him jump and he will some away quickly, he certainly nothing like my Oscars who will come to the front of the tank if you approach them.

ahh very interested. it seems like your leporinus is different indeed. i will try to record a video sometime of it. it's really funny because my leporinus doesnt take shit from any of the other fish that are constantly trying to but heads with it. it lowers its head and i can imagine if it was thinking in english it would go something like "ALRIGHT YOU WANT TO DANCE, LETS DANCE!"

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: banded leporinus fish

dngray wrote:
ahh very interested. it seems like your leporinus is different indeed. i will try to record a video sometime of it. it's really funny because my leporinus doesnt take shit from any of the other fish that are constantly trying to but heads with it. it lowers its head and i can imagine if it was thinking in english it would go something like "ALRIGHT YOU WANT TO DANCE, LETS DANCE!"

I'd love to see that :)

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: banded leporinus fish

The only info I have read on Leporinus is that they have been known to feed on the fins & scales of other fish; also, they have a rep(that goes hand in hand w/ the latter) of being fin-nippers.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

fishguy66 wrote: The only info I have read on Leporinus is that they have been known to feed on the fins & scales of other fish; also, they have a rep(that goes hand in hand w/ the latter) of being fin-nippers.

I'm sure the Boss can tell if that's true....

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds