Banded leporinus fish

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: banded leporinus fish

Here's a little article(among many I found) stating what I posted.

badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile1.html

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re: banded leporinus fish

How big is your Lep?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

I don't have one, nor have ever owned one, just sold them when I managed a LFS, & this was the info I gave customers. It's well documented that they are fin-nippers & jumpers.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• dngray
  • dngray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

dngray replied the topic: Re: banded leporinus fish

about 7 inches now. i am hoping that it's growth will slow down. these things bloom up faster than my O's did. i will try to get some footage of my lep in action.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: banded leporinus fish

fishguy66 wrote: I don't have one, nor have ever owned one, just sold them when I managed a LFS, & this was the info I gave customers. It's well documented that they are fin-nippers & jumpers.

they also bits scales don't they ? read it in "the book" ... cool looking fish tho

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: banded leporinus fish

Edit my fault I seen you already brought that to everyones attention how dare I think you didn't !! ;)

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

OFL wrote: How big is your Lep?

Sorry, I thought that question was sent to me. My apologies.

• dngray
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

dngray replied the topic: Re: banded leporinus fish

maybe my lepronis is different than most but the behavior descriptions i have read of this fish do not describe my leporinus at all. my lep is really passive but will not back down when another fish challenges it to a battle. i have never once seen my lep jump either but i don't doubt that i can.

i have seen my lep go after my silver dollars a few times but i think it is mostly just trying to push them out of its comfort zone since it doesn't chase them. the leporinus is an incredibly fast fish. by far the fastest fish in my tank but you only really see that when it gets spooked. i read that they prefer water with a current which can explain its streamline shape.

what i love most about this fish is its curiosity towards me when i sit at the tank for a while. it will follow my finger too. it doesn't really have any friends in my tank but it has me as a friend which will suffice. as far as the fish is concerned, my hand is god that provides the food :P

all in all, from my experience, i would highly recommend this fish as a tankmate with cichlids including oscars but remember this fish grows insanely fast and will reach a foot long easy.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

ehall67 wrote: Edit my fault I seen you already brought that to everyones attention how dare I think you didn't !! ;)

No biggie Ed....yep, "The Book" does state that they do eat fins & scale as part of their diet, as well as their being quite a bit of info to that effect on the web.

• dngray
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

dngray replied the topic: Banded leporinus fish

Just an update, my banded lep is full grown now and it does great in my tank. I wonder why they are not more popular for freshwater aquariums. I know they prefer (they have a streamline torpedo shape and are native to rivers such as the Amazon) water currents. Mine is extremely athletic and I love how it gets all twitchy and excited when I approach the tank. Reminds me of a dog about to be fed. It is a bit of a fin/scale nipper of the other fish. Very tough fish and will not back down from a scuffle from my Oscar or JD. When threatened it lowered its head and snaps its teeth together making a clicking noise which I am assuming is a defense mechanism... "A way of saying, Hey I have a strong bite, don't mess".

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds