Banded leporinus fish

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Banded leporinus fish

Nice. And, coincidentally, I have just been considering this fish in my thread on stocking ideas. Do you have any pics? Do you just have the one? My one concern is that they prefer groups, which might get a bit bio-load heavy. I agree that they are pretty cool fish. They have a tank full of them in the Camden aquarium with a gator.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Banded leporinus fish

I have never kept one but they are pretty cool looking. Ive seem them at my local Petsmart so I know they are readily available and a reasonable price.

If you want an elongated type fish to share the space with your Oscar another fish to consider would be a pink tail chalceus

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Banded leporinus fish

I put this in another thread:

I would add a caveat..in addition to plant matter, Leporinus are scale/fin eaters, as well as being prolific jumpers. Caution is advised. Just FYI.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• dngray
  • dngray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

dngray replied the topic: Banded leporinus fish

Darth Nandopsis wrote: I put this in another thread:

I would add a caveat..in addition to plant matter, Leporinus are scale/fin eaters, as well as being prolific jumpers. Caution is advised. Just FYI.

I have heard that before but strangely enough my Lep does not jump at all nor does it ever attempt to. I bet this fish could leap at least 30 feet out of the water if it wanted too. It is like one giant torpedo of pure muscle. I named mine Skeeter because it can be annoying to my other fish like a mosquito.

And yes (to the other person) Poseidon2.0; my Lep is solo and does just fine. I think it is akin to Oscars doing well solo even though they naturally exist in a pod of Oscars.

I will try to get some good pics of the Lep soon. He is really hard to get a good picture of. It is always in motion.

• dngray
  • dngray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

dngray replied the topic: Banded leporinus fish

Oh one last thing, one of the most enjoyable things about my Lep is how it eats a whole frozen pea. I usually feed all of my fish froozen whole peas from time to time and they live it! I know some people suggest feeding them shell-less peas but I disagree. One of the best laxatives out there for fish is a whole frozen pea.. What I mean by this is that they do not digest the shell so it acts as a dietary fiber which is pushed threw their intestines clearing any blockages which solved any bloating/constipation issues. They poop out the shell and the filter picks it up and breaks it down.

Anyways, When I feed my Lep a frozen pea, it can not fit the entire thing into its mouth so it snags a pea holding it in its mouth by suction. Then as the water melts the pea and softens it up (happens pretty quickly), it drives the pea into the side of the glass forcing it into its mouth until it is able to eat the entire thing. Very fun to watch. Often my Oscar or JD will try to steal it from the Lep but the Lep is usually too quick.

Also the Lep is really good at moving rocks around in the tank and does a great job picking threw the rocks and finding uneaten food. Cool fish for sure!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds