Clown loach

• delboybully
  • delboybully's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37

delboybully created the topic: Clown loach

I have 10 clown loach, all about 3 to 4 inches. The were obtained in 2's and 3's when small and their sizes vary from 3 to 4 inches. I have 4 in a discus tank and they seem fine. Its the 6 in my general cichlid tank that are the worry. Of the 6 in there, 5 seem to be losing the darkness of their black bands. The blackness comes back at feed time tho. Anyone any idea what is causing this. They are not on the receiving end of aggression and have been in the cichlid tank for about 3 months

Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 , nitrates vary but never over 40ish

Discus tank temperature is 29 and cichlid tank is 26/27

Discus tank gets maggots, prawns but mostly discus cichlid pellets and flake

Cichlid tank gets maggots, prawns but mostly cichlid pellets and pond pellets(cheaper)

Anyone any ideas

I can't get no sleep

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:Clown loach

I have got four clown loaches, two big ones, and two small ones. One of my week clown loaches is so much paler than the other, it's black is really pale compared to the other one. So, it seems to be something that happens, I shouldn't worry if I was you.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• delboybully
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Clown loach

ok thanks for that. Clown loach are my second favourite fish

I can't get no sleep

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I totally agree, clown Loach delightful little fish. They can live for a very long time as well.

• Thank you received: 0

Nippienige replied the topic: Re:Clown loach

Don't worry about the bands fading on your Clown loach - I have 6 in my Juwel 190 - 2 of which are over 10" long and they have faded - Clown loaches are delightful fish when kept together and would recommed that you keep a minimum of 6, as they do not do so well in smaller mumbers. Clown loaches are also nocturnal and don't therefore like to come out in the day - and also they love plenty of hiding places. They love to be fed on Cucumber wedges or Courgette wedge as well as sinking pellets and wafers, and also once a week I feed them with a couple of prawns - this is very good for them but only feed them this once a week as it will mess the water up a bit. Clown loaches are also Stress Heads and do not appreciate you disturbing them by poking around in their hiding places. Leave them alone and you won't go wrong.
Keep your water temp at about 28 degrees C and you shouldn't have a problem with whitespot.
Also Clown loaches like a clean environment - I myself run an Eheim 2128 external filter, a Juwel compact internal filter which comes with the Juwel 190, 2 Fluvel powerheads, a UV sterliser and the Deltec MC500 protein Skimmer with Ozoniser to keep my water clean and sterile. Now you don't need to to these extremes but I have a heavily populated aquarium so I keep the water circulating and moving quite rapidly. Clown loaches do not like a build up of Nitrate either. When I do partial water changes I use 50/50 mix tap water and rain water which I microwave at a gallon at a time for 8 minutes each gallon, this then placed in a 4 gallon container which is then heated to 28 degrees c for a week. Also in this container is an airstone to aerate the water. I also place 3 drops of WS4 and a teaspoon of tonic salt in the water. This helps to kill of any bacteria such as whitespot. Obviously I use a dechlorinator as well. In my case I also dose the water for 20 mins with ozone and stand for 1hr prior to changing my water. The Active Carbon will then remove the WS4 in the main filteration once the water has been added to my aquarium. Hope this helps as my Clowns are very happy Clowns - hence the size they have grown to in my aquarium. Rgrds Nige AKA Nippienige

• delboybully
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

That is a lot of effort. More than i put in for my discus tank. I heard clown loach get to 12 inches in the wild but rarely over 6 inches in tanks. So if you have 2 that are 10 inches then maybe the effort has paid off

I can't get no sleep

• Thank you received: 0

albino_piggy replied the topic: Re:Clown loach

Hi All

Just wondering what substrate is better? I've read a lot about clown loaches being really sensitive and liking good water conditions... our gravel substrate seems to pick up lots of poo and uneaten food.

Should we encourage algae growth for the clown loaches to eat, and if so, how?

Cheers,
Candice

Candice
Brisbane, Australia
125g: 3 inch albino tiger and 3 inch tiger
20g: 1 inch albino bristlenose catfish, 1inch bristlenose catfish, 5 x 1 inch clown loach, 2 x 2 inch swordtails

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I often get algae growth in my tank, everybody does. However, I've never seen my clown Loach eating it. These fish can be sensitive to water conditions but they're not as delicate as some people make out. Sand or gravel will be perfectly okay for them.

• delboybully
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

The clown loaches in my discus tank are with a sand substrate whereas the ones in my cichlid tank has a gravel substrate. Doesnt seem to make a difference to them

I can't get no sleep

• Verse34K
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:Clown loach

Ever heard of the clown loach "marge"? Supposedly she's around 12 inches:ohmy:

Soooo, just goes to show:lol:

When i bought my first clown loach three years ago, i knew nothing about it. In fact, i didn't know the got bigger than two inches. I gave him away when i learned that thye liked to live in groups and would eventually outgrow my 10 gallon tank i was keeping him in.

Here's a great article about the color differences in different specimens.

www.loaches.com/articles/clown-loach-coloration-marking-variations

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds