Clown loach

• Thank you received: 0

jet replied the topic: Re:Clown loach

Nippienige wrote:

Don't worry about the bands fading on your Clown loach - I have 6 in my Juwel 190 - 2 of which are over 10" long and they have faded - Clown loaches are delightful fish when kept together and would recommed that you keep a minimum of 6, as they do not do so well in smaller mumbers. Clown loaches are also nocturnal and don't therefore like to come out in the day - and also they love plenty of hiding places. They love to be fed on Cucumber wedges or Courgette wedge as well as sinking pellets and wafers, and also once a week I feed them with a couple of prawns - this is very good for them but only feed them this once a week as it will mess the water up a bit. Clown loaches are also Stress Heads and do not appreciate you disturbing them by poking around in their hiding places. Leave them alone and you won't go wrong.
Keep your water temp at about 28 degrees C and you shouldn't have a problem with whitespot.
Also Clown loaches like a clean environment - I myself run an Eheim 2128 external filter, a Juwel compact internal filter which comes with the Juwel 190, 2 Fluvel powerheads, a UV sterliser and the Deltec MC500 protein Skimmer with Ozoniser to keep my water clean and sterile. Now you don't need to to these extremes but I have a heavily populated aquarium so I keep the water circulating and moving quite rapidly. Clown loaches do not like a build up of Nitrate either. When I do partial water changes I use 50/50 mix tap water and rain water which I microwave at a gallon at a time for 8 minutes each gallon, this then placed in a 4 gallon container which is then heated to 28 degrees c for a week. Also in this container is an airstone to aerate the water. I also place 3 drops of WS4 and a teaspoon of tonic salt in the water. This helps to kill of any bacteria such as whitespot. Obviously I use a dechlorinator as well. In my case I also dose the water for 20 mins with ozone and stand for 1hr prior to changing my water. The Active Carbon will then remove the WS4 in the main filteration once the water has been added to my aquarium. Hope this helps as my Clowns are very happy Clowns - hence the size they have grown to in my aquarium. Rgrds Nige AKA Nippienige

what size were your 10 inch clown loach when you got them and how long have you had them :unsure: julie :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

metoo replied the topic: Re:Clown loach

Just have to add my 2ct as I'm very fond of these beautiful and entertaining fish as well. I once took over 3 specimen that had been kept in a 2' tank only but unfortunately had to give them away since I have not enough room neither (and there they died eventually, very sad).
They were only 2" and didn't seem to grow much neither, so I'd be really interested as well in how long it takes for them to get to 10" in size?
I kept them on sand and noticed they would do a lot of digging under rocks and wood, so if I ever get to keeping those again, I'll sure go for sand again. Thinking that might also be good to prevent them from hurting their barbles (sp.) when they dig, at least for the tiny ones. I noticed that, if provided with hiding places all over the tank, they would become very outgoing and were seen most of the day even playing around - better than anything on tv!
Anyone feeding them snails? Here, many keepers breed snails in a small tank to feed to their clown loaches. I gave mine snails from the tiny outside pond (no fish in there) occasionally, and they would be gone in no time although they were as big as the fish.
I'm curious as well about if and how they establish a hierarchic order? With the 3 I had, the two biggest ones would start fighting after some months, I had not heard of that before. But might be because the group was too small.
Only have seen full grown clown loaches once yet when I picked up some young fish from a bloke who had lotsa big cichlids in a huge tank, and they made the pair of Oscars in there look small even :ohmy: I didn't realize at first what they were, my jaw dropped when I finally did. That memory keeps me from getting any, lol. Plus that they are said to get ich easily but can't deal with the med too well. I was lucky though, they were always healthy.
Would love to see more clown loach pics, got any as well Nige and delboybully? (Don't mind me if you posted any already)

If I were a guy, I\'d have probably needed only 30% of the amount of words to say this

• delboybully
  • delboybully's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Clown loach

I suppose i should get round to trying working out how the software for my phone works so i can post some pics

Clown loach are a good fish for getting rid of a snail infestation. Someone told me convicts are good for that too but convicts are very aggressive

When i used to have a grow out tank in my bedroom, late at night after tank and bedroom lights were out i would hear clicking noises. Apparently the loaches were doing this, someone told me that it is part of them establishing a pecking order and reinforcing in. Fun to hear but they would stop if i put a light on. Not good if you are a light sleeper (fortunately i not)

I can't get no sleep

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:Clown loach

delboybully wrote:

I suppose i should get round to trying working out how the software for my phone works so i can post some pics

I absolutely detest mobile phones. Since they came along, people have become really unsociable when you're in their company, too busy texting and all that Malarkey.

Clown loach are a good fish for getting rid of a snail infestation. )

They are no good for getting rid of the Malaysian trumpet snails, I can tell you that from experience. These type of snails have actually evolved so fish cannot get into them, which includes the snail expert, the clown loach.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• delboybully
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Its not mobile phones that are the problem its the people using them. I do however know what you mean, when it comes to 2 people having a face to face conversation and the phone goes off, people stop the chat and go to the phone, sometimes in mid sentence and then ignore you. That winds me up too

I didnt know about clown loach not being able to eat malaysian trumpet snail. That leaves only 2 ways to get rid of them, chemical or manual (squish them by hand)

I can't get no sleep

Lol true about the noise (of the fish now), I completely forgot about that. Just imagining a tank with some clown loaches making that sound, some Oscars splashing around and crunching food at feeding times, and if you take then a pleco out of the water so it will make that grumbling noise you got quite an orchestra ... who says fish are quiet pets?

What is wrong with the Malaysian trumpet snails, btw? I thought they were good for the tank by eating debris and aerating the gravel. Well once there's more snails than gravel, it might become a problem though :unsure:

If I were a guy, I\'d have probably needed only 30% of the amount of words to say this

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:Clown loach

When I first got my clown Loachs I just couldn't work out where where this clicking/tapping sound was coming from. Then I realised it was the loaches. I absolutely adore my four loaches and I would never get rid of them.

I'd love to see you squish a Malaysian trumpet snail, these little critters are tough little buggers, that's why most fish can't eat them. There is one reason why you don't want them in your tank, they are live bearers and breed like there's no tomorrow. I just can't understand anybody who wants to introduce these snails to their tank. Once you get them, they are virtually impossible to eradicate. You get simply thousands and thousands of them within a very short space of time. Yes, they do oxygenate the substrate which can be good for plants. Yes, they may possibly eat some debris that's left behind. However, you have to remember that these snails will also create waste themselves which will pollute the water so at the end of the day, you are not actually gaining anything by having them.

I had an infestation of these snails a few years ago and I never want to have them again. The funny thing is, you won't really see them during the day, it's at night when they come out to play. However, if you do see them during the day, there is a possibility that you have water quality problems.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Ok, I better not try that ever ;) Yes, have heard that as well about them indicating problems with the water/substrate if seen during day.
Think I only had them once in a tank ages ago, but thank god they never multiplied that much it would have posed a problem. I remember though that I once bought a small used tank that came with gravel, and there were countless numbers of shells in it, so i can imagine.

Maybe they are just too small for the loaches to eat them? :unsure: Do the bigger loaches crush snail shells or just suck the snails out? My tiny ones would do the latter. When i kept them in the Oscar tank temporarily I couldn't provide them with snails anymore cause the only time I tried, the Oscar would gobble up the big snails including shell before they reached the bottom, and he seemed to be feeling really unwell for a day. Still wondering if a x-ray would show an Oscar skeleton and two snail shells. (*if* and *would* don't go together well but I can't come up with anything sounding right to me.)

I should stop thinking about clown loaches, it makes me want a huge tank! But still like the idea of delboybully working out his phone software ;)

• delboybully
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Dont have to work out phone software as my girlfriend has bought a digital camera so once SHE has worked that out i will give it a go

I can't get no sleep

ashley1984 replied the topic: Re:Clown loach

hey that was a wkd spread about clownm loaches artemis1

ash

270 ltr 4ft (FLUVAL 405)
6 baby blue acaras , 1 male and 1 female geophagus eartheaters...
2 plecs.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds