Tanked (Discovery Channel)

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL created the topic: Tanked (Discovery Channel)

Just watching a new episode I haven't seen before and they have just set up a saltwater aquarium. Incredibly they added a bottle of that instant cycle stuff, and then put in a ton of fish. I would love to know if this is the way they do it on every aquarium. It would also be interesting to know how many fish are still healthy two or three weeks after the aquarium has been installed

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Tanked (Discovery Channel)

that's what they advertise with every tank build from what i see. and they don't do follow-up with their client's ... but then again ... if their clients fish died due to the tank not being cycled, they would have a long list of complaints...

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Tanked (Discovery Channel)

I have noticed that they are using a special seawater which is supposed to contain all the bacteria. I have absolutely no idea about keeping marine fish so I don't know whether it's possible to set up a Marine aquarium from scratch using seawater and put the fish straight in.

www.nutriseawater.com/

from reading what they advertised 'NO WAITING... JUST ADD FISH!® ' looks like an instant cycle with 11,000,000 bacteria per gallon.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I find it hard to believe that it works like this. Surely the filtration system needs to have the right bacteria established in it so that when the water passes through, all the toxins are removed? I really don't know, I'm sure someone will be able to tell us, somebody who uses the staff and keeps marine fish.

I think that these programs such as tanked and tank Kings tend to concentrate on what they believe people find interesting, people who may not keep fascia and will not be interested in all they complicated stuff. So they are just showing you the aquarium installation and then the fish going in. Last night there was an American footballer, I think he was a footballer, played for a team in the New York area. He wanted a huge Koi pond in his garden. They seem to put the water and the fish in on the same day. And there was an absolute ton of fish that went in, I can only imagine how much bio load all these carp produced. But again, no mention of filtration or anything like that.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Tanked (Discovery Channel)

I've read on a few forums that a lot of these setups crash due to under filtration and over crowding for TANKED.

reefbuilders.com/2013/06/18/tanked-learns-a-hard-lesson-from-hasty-fish-stocking/#ixzz2YlyORFv4

reefbuilders.com/2011/08/21/tanked-hold-water/

Just looking at how fast they setup the freshwater, and reports that fish are dead within a month has led me not to watch the show anymore.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Tanked (Discovery Channel)

I would never ever use that crap on a SW tank.....SW is not as forgiving as FW, & exponenetially more $$$$$. I had a SW tank years ago, & while beautiful, the driving force behind me giving it up permanently is the expense. You could quite literally easily drop $10,000 on a basic reef set-up. I don't know if I would spend that kinda moolah on an aquarium if I had it.

But these guys are clowns (Fish Tank Kings, Tanked) & give a bad name to aquarists who try to give the correct knowledge on how to properly cycle an aquarium. There is not substitute for patience, & if anyone listens to these guys, well....."A fool & his money soon part ways."

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I totally agree Jack, the two guys on Tanked are complete idiots. Mind you, I think this is more about entertainment than actual tank building. Some of the stuff they get up to is ridiculous. One of the shows I watched yesterday saw them setting up a mobile golf putting green outside the office. Apparently giving staff something relaxing to do during breaks made them work better, absolutely pathetic. As for Fish Tank Kings, the amount of bickering and arguing that goes on would in theory turn anyone off wanting to use them. It will be interesting to know who they normally build for, the tanks rebuild on the show must cost in the tens of thousands, we're not talking about $500 tank here. They were building a koi home for the footballer, actually they just supplied the class for the front. They stated that the acrylic cost $15,000, that was just for the front of the pond.

Ever since I started watching it, I have been very dubious about the quality of their work when adding fish. They just chuck them all in a once, it can't be good for them.

most of the clienteles are high rollers, stars, CEO, VP or just people with $$$$$$ ... i bet they run in the 7 digit mark ... installation and man power isn't cheap ...

like i mentioned, they don't do followup shows ..... so what happens to the tank 6 months down the line ...mystery ....

of course they will supply the maintenance when selling these tanks .... but still will run up the bill like no tomorrow.

• Thank you received: 40

ehh replied the topic: Tanked (Discovery Channel)

i hate that show.

my good regulars at the store that know im really into keeping fish always ask me if i love that show.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds