Will Cichlids breed in a community pond?

• BlueNawaz
  • BlueNawaz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

BlueNawaz created the topic: Will Cichlids breed in a community pond?

My cousin and i have decided to do a 1000 gallon 8'x4'x4' pond where we would like to breed cichlids. Has anyone done this before and what is the success rate? Will we have a better chance with african cichlids or the american ones? For example can we breed the easy to breed ones like Jewel, Convicts, Kribs, Cutteri, Firemouth in the pond? If not what would be our best bet and how should we go about this? Our personal choice is the Jaguar and devil cichlids but i have read that they are very aggressive and become even more aggressive during breeding! the pond is almost done and will be ready in ten days or so. We will provide them with tiles as base and lots and lots of rocks as hiding spaces! We are open to any suggestions ! Thanks :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Will Cichlids breed in a community pond?

Yes under the right conditions just like the aquarium. Success is dependant upon water chemistry and food availability to stimulate breeding.

• Richardb1976
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • You Can't Fix Stupid
  • Thank you received: 58

Richardb1976 replied the topic: Will Cichlids breed in a community pond?

I wish I could put cichlids in my pond but I can't my water gets down to the low 40's during the winter. Therefore I have a Koi pond

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Will Cichlids breed in a community pond?

Sub-tropical south american cichlids! You would have to move them once the pond gets below 50s though.

• Richardb1976
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • You Can't Fix Stupid

That's why I stick to my Koi outside. :)

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Will Cichlids breed in a community pond?

Given enough room, clean water, & good food, just try & stop cichlids from breeding.......

I think a pair of Jags might dominate even a 1,000GL pond.......& I think Africans will interbreed......is this for fun or profit?

If I were in your shoes, Rich, I would have bass, catfish, & trout in my pond..... :laugh:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Richardb1976
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • You Can't Fix Stupid

Lol definitely better eating. Some thing to think about in the future.

• BlueNawaz
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

BlueNawaz replied the topic: Will Cichlids breed in a community pond?

The initial plan is for breeding. We wan to try this because the availability of cichlids is very less here and we have our sources from where we get just about any kind of cichlid. So we thought going into this project might be beneficial. If it doesn't workout in the year or so then we will just convert it to a cichlid display pond :laugh: so it's a win-win if you ask me! We are yet to decide on the filtration though. I thought a DIY sump system is better than the pond filters we get? What would be the best filtration set up for this pond?
And i am thinking of following the single male and lots of females rule and try these fish :
Convicts : 2 males and 6 females
Jewel : 2 males and 6 females
Firemouth : 1 male and 3 females
Kribs: males and 8 females
Jack dempsey : 1 male and 3 females
Geos : 1 male and 3 females
This is the plan till now. I am overstocking the pond or it's fine? i wouldn't mind adding more fish but more fish means more waste and during breeding season more fights?
I did read about african cichlids inbreeding so i decided to drop the plan! and oscars being our favorite fish I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO DO THEM!! BUT I HAVE READ IT'S VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO BREED OSCARS WHICH IS SAD :(

• BlueNawaz
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

BlueNawaz replied the topic: Will Cichlids breed in a community pond?

If by Bass you mean the Peacock Bass cichlid? i love them..but they're so damn expensive here and even if do breed them, not sure we would find many buyers! So it's an expensive risk. The fish that sell the most here are Flowerhorn and Arowana. People pay huge money and buy them everyday as they believe these fish bring good luck!I have seen Red Jardini Arowana being sold for 12,000-15,000 us dollars !!!!! It's crazy really. But the breeding of this fish is quite complicated, it's best for professionals. So we are going for the next best sellers i.e the cichlids!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Will Cichlids breed in a community pond?

"BUT I HAVE READ IT'S VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO BREED OSCARS WHICH IS SAD"

I don't know where you read this, or who would write it, but that's one of the most inaccurate statements I've ever seen on this site....not blaming you, just know that that info is so erroneous as to be laughable......Oscars, like the vast majority of cichlids, are actually quite easy to breed, hence their ready availability @ virtually any LFS......as long as you have a pair, enough room, clean water, & a high protein diet, Oscars will breed. I had a pair many years ago, & they bred like clockwork about 1X per month, & they lay a ton of eggs.

"If by Bass you mean the Peacock Bass cichlid

No, I actually was referring to Smallmouth or Largemouth bass. If I had a pond, I would stock it full of game-fish. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds