Will Cichlids breed in a community pond?

• BlueNawaz
  • BlueNawaz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

BlueNawaz replied the topic: Will Cichlids breed in a community pond?

I had read about it that they're very very difficult to breed especially by non-professionals or normal fish keepers like us. I was advised against it! In fact i read something like that on OFL as well :blink: Well if what you're saying is right i would love to breed them in the pond. Jack Dempsey out and Oscars are in! Always had a confusing view on Dempseys in my pond as they can get aggressive! So oscars it is :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Will Cichlids breed in a community pond?

Oscars are only difficult to breed because they are difficult to sex and they usually don't breed until they are around 18 months of age.

• BlueNawaz
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

18 months of age means we are probably looking at 7-8 inch oscars?am i right? and will it have any adverse effect keeping them in a community aquarium for breeding? Will a single male with three females work?

• Richardb1976
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • You Can't Fix Stupid
  • Thank you received: 58

Richardb1976 replied the topic: Will Cichlids breed in a community pond?

More like 12"

People move pairs to the aquarium all the time, so moving them is not an issue. However, to strengthen a pair bond, you want competition.

Personally, you want more males than females. The females choose the males in a pairing. Harems are different though.

• BlueNawaz
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

There is no way i am gonna get a proven or established pair of oscars from anywhere. So there is no question of strengthening the bond when there is no bond. However I CAN get few males and females of 10-12" and hope they pair up!
BUT i have read that the male cichlids keep fighting with each other and competing for females so there is gonna be a lot aggression in the tank and the best way to curb this is to have a single male and 3-4 females so that he can easily choose one and peacefully proceed to bond without facing any competition from the other males as there will be none? This is what i had read. I am not sure if this is the best way or will it work.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Will Cichlids breed in a community pond?

The best & established method for getting a pair of Oscars is to but 6-8 babies & let the pair bond form naturally. The only downsides are that you need a huge aquarium (seems you have that!!) & that you may be left w/ quite a few BIG Oscars you need to re-home afterward.

But I am here to tell you that Oscars, once a pair bond is formed, breed quite freely....in fact, you may get more fry than you can easily sell......again, if they were difficult to breed, they wouldn't be so common & quite readily available......be careful what you wish for, you just may get it. :whistle:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

BlueNawaz wrote: There is no way i am gonna get a proven or established pair of oscars from anywhere. So there is no question of strengthening the bond when there is no bond. However I CAN get few males and females of 10-12" and hope they pair up!
BUT i have read that the male cichlids keep fighting with each other and competing for females so there is gonna be a lot aggression in the tank and the best way to curb this is to have a single male and 3-4 females so that he can easily choose one and peacefully proceed to bond without facing any competition from the other males as there will be none? This is what i had read. I am not sure if this is the best way or will it work.

It's not up to the male, which is why the males kill females refusing to mate. The female always chooses a robust male, and in turn sometimes end up killing the male. You can have 3 females refuse a male. Get 6-8 to increase your chances for a pair.

• BlueNawaz
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Rocksor wrote:

BlueNawaz wrote: There is no way i am gonna get a proven or established pair of oscars from anywhere. So there is no question of strengthening the bond when there is no bond. However I CAN get few males and females of 10-12" and hope they pair up!

It's not up to the male, which is why the males kill females refusing to mate. The female always chooses a robust male, and in turn sometimes end up killing the male. You can have 3 females refuse a male. Get 6-8 to increase your chances for a pair.

Done. 6-8 sexually matured 18 months old or 6-8 babies as also suggested by Darth? and what will be the idea male-female ratio if sexually matured. If i get to know this i am good to go with oscars!

If sexually mature, a pair will keep mating and the bond will be cemented if there are other cichlids in the pond, which all don't have to be oscars. With your pond size, at least another pair.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds