75 gallon piranha tank

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: 75 gallon piranha tank

So Jack, you've maintained a tank full of them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mwhite638
  • mwhite638's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

mwhite638 replied the topic: 75 gallon piranha tank

Wow those exodons are ridiculous ! I'm very interested in those now. They seem way more aggressive than the small shoals of piranha I've looked at on YouTube. How would you clean their tank without getting your fingers nipped off?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 75 gallon piranha tank

Rocksor wrote: So Jack, you've maintained a tank full of them?

Only when I managed a LFS many moons ago......not my cup of tea. ;) They do make a very good "waste disposal unit" for dead /dying fish...... :evil:

I did have piranhas for a while, RB, Gold, Black........Black piranhas are the most aggressive, IME.....I've found you can only keep one in a tank, not very "sociable", even w/ it's own species.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

mwhite638 wrote: Wow those exodons are ridiculous ! I'm very interested in those now. They seem way more aggressive than the small shoals of piranha I've looked at on YouTube. How would you clean their tank without getting your fingers nipped off?

Long gravel vac tube. You could also get some pvc arm length gloves.

Darth Nandopsis wrote:

Only when I managed a LFS many moons ago......not my cup of tea. ;) They do make a very good "waste disposal unit" for dead /dying fish...... :evil:

I did have piranhas for a while, RB, Gold, Black........Black piranhas are the most aggressive, IME.....I've found you can only keep one in a tank, not very "sociable", even w/ it's own species.

Are the blacks called Rhoms?

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: 75 gallon piranha tank

mwhite638 wrote: Wow those exodons are ridiculous ! I'm very interested in those now. They seem way more aggressive than the small shoals of piranha I've looked at on YouTube. How would you clean their tank without getting your fingers nipped off?

a very long gravel vac tube .... and no substrate - lol

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

VERY carefully...... :laugh:

I think as long as you keep an eye on them, & simply be very careful, you would be OK.....same as Piranhas.

A Python & a algae scraper w/ LONG handles.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Rocksor wrote:

Darth Nandopsis wrote:

Are the blacks called Rhoms?

S. Rhombeus is the scientific name, I've never heard them called anything but blacks, or "The M'er F'er that killed all my other piranhas", :laugh: but that name makes sense...VERY hard to find in this day & age, especially in warmer climes in the US where they are banned. I got rid of the few I had when my wife & I were thinking of having kids......NOT a fish I would have w/ small children around, or felines.....RB's are wimps, really(but still dangerous), but Golds & especially Blacks are what I consider truly dangerous to have.....very evil fish, w/ extremely powerful jaws & razors for teeth....not for beginners.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds