May be in for a crazy couple of days!

• robham7770
  • robham7770's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 created the topic: May be in for a crazy couple of days!

I live in Mobile, Al. and we are currently in the midst of a winter storm. I have lived here for 39 years and have never seen anything like this. The threat of power outages is my biggest concern, since I have 12 tanks containing fish that will not survive the 19 f that we are supposed to hit overnight. The forecast high tomorrow is 34f, so things won't be much better. I got my emergency supplies yesterday(a bottle of Prime) and with the help of my trusty gas powered water heater, flashlight and bucket, I intend to get through this. I am supposed to get word from the company whether or not we are working tomorrow, but if the power is out I am at home. Not to mention that after 5 hrs of rain, and 3 of sleet I had a pretty hard time getting home tonight, so with the foretasted 8 more hours of precipitation, I can't imagine getting there.

Where I live we are not equipped to deal with this type of situation no salt truck, plow or snow tires. Even my windshield wipers failed and would not even clear the water off my windshield (once defrosted after 20 min) until I got out and flexed them along the length to loosen the rubber and even going very slowly lost traction multiple times.Any advice from fellow members living in northern areas is appreciated here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Re: May be in for a crazy couple of days!

Not much you can really do, an ice storm that knocks out power is my worst nightmare as a fish keeper. With the storms we have around here a gas powered generator is on my short list of must haves

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re:Re: May be in for a crazy couple of days!

not much you can do apart from this

-

Haku, I knew your were good.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Re: May be in for a crazy couple of days!

This is what it looked like when I got home at 5 PM today.

That is not snow, it is ice covered with sleet, and it was forecast to continue all night. It is now 10:27 and seems to have stopped, my power is still on so I may be in the clear. My wife got irritated with me when I saw the forecast, and said "oh crap, my fish", her reply was what about us (we have three children).

Very familiar with the gas powered generator, many people here have them but they are in case of Hurricanes not cold weather. After this I may have to look in to one for reasons I never considered.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Re: May be in for a crazy couple of days!

Well hopefully it stays on for you. If I woke in the morning to find that outside id be relieved that all we got, I wouldnt worry to much I know you all arnt use to it but in all my years in kc ive only ever lost power for a couple hours at most

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Re: May be in for a crazy couple of days!

I am pretty sure it is all good, almost all of the precipitation is south of me at the beaches, my wife's co worker who lives on a barrier island lost power at around 7 p. The fact that it went from just wet ground to the picture I posted in 2 hours, combined with media hype got me kind of worried. I thought I might have to spend hours on end pouring buckets of warm water into my tanks. At this point, I think all I have to fear is my utility bills.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:May be in for a crazy couple of days!

Don't pour buckets of warm water in... just float something like 2 litre soda/pop bottles full of hot water in the tanks.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds