Albino Bristlenose Pleco Baby Care ???

• cujo0777
  • cujo0777's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

cujo0777 created the topic: Albino Bristlenose Pleco Baby Care ???

To My surprise my Albino Bristlenose Pleco's Had babies :unsure: . I realized this when I went to clean my Tank so now I have little over 30 Baby Pleco's on my hands and dont know how to take care of them . Anyone know how to take care of baby Abino Pleco's ???? Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks . I'll need to know when its ok to put the babies in a seperate tank ???. What to feed them ??? If there slow or fast growers ??? Oh and do they breed like rabbits this is something I would really like to know cause I dont need my 55g community tank to be over run by these little Boogers LOL So Pretty much ur basic info . Oh and the babies are currently about 1 centimeter in length.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Albino Bristlenose Pleco Baby Care ???

Ha, that's great! Congrats! :woohoo:

I have no idea how to answer your questions, but I'm sure you will get your answers soon.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson
The following user(s) said Thank You: cujo0777

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Albino Bristlenose Pleco Baby Care ???

bn plecs breed like rabbits :)

As long as you give them shelter and good water often oak leafs and rain water helps them breed but coconuts are great.

All then need is food, algae pellets and then cucumber, melon mine like plums and cherrys.

The males will defend the babies till they are old enough to fend for them selfs, females do nothing but shouldnt harm babies either. Bigger fish may eat them if they can. Other than that I leave them in tank until about an inch and then seperate to sell on. If they are albino or long fin you will get more money. But to be honest the normals dont sell for much here in UK as they breed like mad.

here is a vid of some of my fry. I dont have my baby tank anymore as I have had my own baby and had to cut down. I also lost my main female as she was 10plus years.

Im guessing you are not in Uk as Im looking to widen my gene pool and would like albino

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

oh also you need to provide them with driftwood if you are not already.

but search on ebay bn plecs and see how many are on there

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

cujo0777 replied the topic: Albino Bristlenose Pleco Baby Care ???

Here's The Daddy Albino guarding the babies

Here's the mama Albino

I Definitely need to add some driftwood to my tank . This is there first batch of babies .
:woohoo:

this was my pair but like I said my female died, I have 3 offspring that I kept with the father and then I have 2 others in another tank but waiting for babies, I would like some from another source to develop my own strain.

Your babies look mainly dark do you have any albino? I am guessing the normal colouring is the stronger gene.

you have a very nice male he has lots of bristles :)

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

cujo0777 replied the topic: Albino Bristlenose Pleco Baby Care ???

I like ur pleco's But there's no way I can have the type that grows up to 24 inches . I just have the Albino ones . the Father is full grown being I believe between 5 & 6 Inches. The mama Albino is roughly 3 to 4 inches . I agree the babies are kinda dark which I find a bit weird . I'm Hoping the babies will get there albino coloration once they reach about 1 or 2 inches . Other wise Im gonna have some weird looking babies LOL :laugh: I don't know if I have any albino babies considering there kinda all crammed in a 2 1/2 inch dip in the Fake Log decoration . So its kinda hard to tell . :unsure:

all bn plecs stay small my female was the largest Ive seen and she was 6inches at the most.

Albino animals are born that way if your babies are dark Im guessing they are not albino, the genes must go like this. Let me remember;

ok for example my dogs are hairless but they produce full hair dogs (powderpuff) along with hairless. The powderpuff will only ever produce powderpuff if mated with another powderpuff. If a hailess and powderpuff mate you get both and same with 2 hairless. The breeders like with your bn plecs are looking to achieve hairless pups but you can get 2hairless that only produce poderpuffs its the luck of the draw as it all goes to genes.

Like so
P = powderpuff h equal Hairless

Mum and Dad are hairless but they carry genes Ph

parents Ph X Ph
offspring PP Ph Ph hh
PP are only powderpuff
Ph are hairless can be hairy hairless or trues
hh sadly a pup with hh genes will never develope correctly and the bitch will absorb the baby back. Its like natures way of saying its wrong.

so your plecs sorry if I am confusing you or dragging on a bit must be as follows

saying (a) equals albino colour and B the normal dark. Knowing that albino in nature is a very recessive gene

your plecs are Ba Ba
and so Im guessing any babies with aa never develop but it must be more complicated as albino animals tend to be alot weaker and have much lower survival rates anyhow.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds