smart fish

• turtle lover
  • turtle lover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

turtle lover created the topic: smart fish

What type of community fish do you think is very smart?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: smart fish

smart as in clever ?

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: smart fish

I find shell dwellers to be pretty smart. The way they interact with their environment and each other makes them pretty unique. Not to mention that they live in shells to protect themselves.

• turtle lover
  • turtle lover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: smart fish

yeah I meant a schooling fish

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: smart fish

tetras

clown loach

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: smart fish

Clown loaches grow very big, however. Easily bigger than your hand. I considered getting some until I learned that. It made me sad, they're quite adorable, and I know a few people who've been turned off the idea for the same reason.

Yoyo loaches are pretty smart, they're just very independant. And can be absolute crack ups. One of mine swims in a circle against the front of the glass to tell me she's hungry. They grow to about 6-8 inches, and are generally passive to anything but something small enough and slow enough to fit in their mouths. They do show some aggression, but mostly it's just pecking order and only their own kind.

There are some cichlids and gourami's as well, I do believe pearl's are quite good, and they need to be at least in pairs.

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: smart fish

It depends what you mean by 'smart'. Even guppies can learn to recognise who brings them food and nibble food out of your hand if they're comfortable and used to people. Generally speaking though, in my experience schooling community fish don't tend to be the sharpest tools in the shed.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: smart fish

I've always thought of tiger barbs as intelligent. Their tight schooling and strick pecking order must take some thought.

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: smart fish

Lammergeier wrote: It depends what you mean by 'smart'. Even guppies can learn to recognise who brings them food and nibble food out of your hand if they're comfortable and used to people. Generally speaking though, in my experience schooling community fish don't tend to be the sharpest tools in the shed.

I personally think that has something to do with the other fish being a distraction, in some cases. That said, while yoyo's are quite smart, I'll never forget you standing with bloodworms, then flakes, in your hand, shoulder deep in my tank, trying to demonstrate handfeeding techniques with fish that didn't really seem to care you had your hand in the tank. :evil:

In their defence, they are quite attached to each other. One injured his fin (it recovered well), and the others were nudging him when he had trouble staying upright, and made sure he was ok. The kuhli's do kind of fit the description though :P Although they are cute as. :)

(For those of you who are unsure, Lammergeier is one of my two closest friends, and has been helping me with my tank, which had some issues when I 'inherited' it)

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds