Can you put my worries to rest?

• Nyx
  • Nyx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Nyx created the topic: Can you put my worries to rest?

Ok as you have probably seen me post around here recently I'm wanting to replace the pea gravel in my tank with sand. The more I think about gravel I remember why I worried about it in the first place. When I was much younger, probably 5 or 6 years old I had a goldfish (Goldie locks) pass away. From what I remember we all had thought that it had eaten a pebble from the bottom as it had a severely bloated belly. I know now that there was probably another issue with it due to poor water conditions. It was a single goldfish in a 29gallon but the water was only changed monthly. But for most of my life I remember seeing my dead goldfish and thinking it ate a piece of gravel.

So my question for you guys is, how likely is this? For oscars or any fish. Was I just traumatized and need to stop worrying about the gravel so much? What are your thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nyx
  • Nyx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Nyx replied the topic: Can you put my worries to rest?

Also I apologize, I'm sure this is a silly question to most of you. It's just that for as long as I could remember that worry was always in the back of my mind when it came to seeing gravel in tanks so I wanted to get some opinions on the matter.

• Thank you received: 29

Gaarakilla19 replied the topic: Can you put my worries to rest?

i also thought this but iv been told we just wash it to clean the dust off the pebbles not the tiny ones

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Can you put my worries to rest?

in the wild, fish normally swallows sand and small rocks...
in the aquarium, small pebbles are known to cause accidental injury with gold fish
but with an oscar. but you have to remember gold fish can have bloated belly even without an injury.

• Thank you received: 18

mishka replied the topic: Can you put my worries to rest?

I think your fish will be fine considering O's spit gravel around all the time

I worry more about my dogs with gravel than I do with my fish.. :S

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds